lcig

hallway panelling advice - paint or not?

Laura G
3 years ago

We’re planning to redecorate our hallway in our Edwardian house and would like some advice!

A previous owner of our house has stripped the paint from all of the doors, door frames and the staircase, the wood is all good quality pine and original (although would have originally been painted or stained dark).

The wood panelling has been left stained dark, it’s good quality oak panelling but not original to the house and we think it looks strange being a different style and colour to the other woodwork.

Options are:
1: strip to bare wood, but this may still be a different colour to the pine doors
2: remove completely and replaster hallway, perhaps reinstate dado rails or similar to give character
3: paint panelling, if so what colour?

We don’t really want to repaint the pine doors, or door frames or staircase.

We’re planning to repaint the walls, replace the carpet and put up different wall lighting, any advice on colours that might work with the pine would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.