webuser_79184816

Redecorating a dark Victorian hallway

Richard Stocks
3 years ago

Think is a classic question but I would really appreciate some specific advice for my hallway. I’ve just moved in to this late Victorian terrace and this is what I’ve inherited. The photos are taken on a relatively sunny morning albeit in November, and as you can see it’s still dark. The front door faces west so doesn’t get direct sun. There is a bathroom at the top of the stairs with windows facing east with glazed door that offers some light but but which is mostly blocked by the stairs.

The dark hexagonal wallpaper will go as will the magnolia painted walls above dado rail. To my surprise the tiled floor isn’t original but is in keeping with designs of the Victorian period. Whilst I would have chosen something brighter I like it enough to keep it rather than go to the expense of replacing.

I’d love to go with a dark blue or a green below the dado, painting the skirting and dado the same colour but I think it would be too dark. So I’m thinking a pale grey paint above and below dado with white woodwork. The pale grey is just to pick out the period feature better with a slight contrast. On the whole I’m thinking this light scheme will maximise light and make the floor more of a focal point. I plan to change the stained glass in vestibule door (which isn’t original) for something nicer but mostly clear/colourless to maximise light, and the front door will be replaced at some point for one with more glazing. I’m also thinking of adding glazed panels to the internal living room door (next to entrance) to borrow some light, and all a wall mirror opposite. The carpet on the stairs will go to be replaced by a runner, possibly a beige colour with charcoal border to match colours in tiles. Stairs painted white.

Am I in the right lines? Any other ideas? I wondered about replacing the second flight of stairs for open stairs to allow light and open the space but may be a bit extreme.

Comments (17)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.