jubaida_rashid

how shall I update this hallway and upstairs corridor?

Juby R
3 years ago

I am struggling to find ideas on ways to brighten my hallway and upstairs corridor. It's still the way it was when we moved in couple years ago and therefore needs a complete make over. Does anyone have any ideas? Not sure what kind of carpet to have on the stairs. I wanted laminate/LVT in the entrance. It's so narrow and dark I barely have any space to put a bench or anything there. The first pic is the pic that was put up by sellers, it's no where near that bright ever, I'm guessing it was photo shopped but gives a better idea of what it all looks like.
Will put up a better pic of the entryway soon.

Comments (24)

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As you can see, very narrow (doesn't help with all the jackets hanging there)

• T Gray
    3 years ago

You need to thin out your coat collection. That is half the problem, but I think you knew that already. :-)

The other problem is with the decor of course. However you don't give us any clue as to your style.

You could go ultra modern and paint everything pale/white gloss to get the light reflecting off the walls. Pale shiny flooring would help too. Or a faked dado rail effect with the same colour but the bottom half gloss and top half matt. Good for keeping sticky fingermarks wipeable.

You could embrace the darkness and paint downstairs a dark vibrant colour with upstairs light and bright; it could create a light well that you walk up into.

How would you describe your style?

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay, so working on the coat problem (my husband and I have coat buying problem). We're creating a storage area upstairs for this.

My whole house is generally muted tones of green, blue and grey. I have a lot of plants and for some reason some pink in every room.

I would prefer a light and airy feel. Id like a mirror there, somewhere to put keys and bits when we walk in. Would like a plant there. Some good shoe storage that doesn't look like it's taking up space.

Thinking a gallery wall up the stairway? I want wooden floors but not sure what to do with stairs, or what kinda carpet to put down. I've seen wooden stairs with runner, not sure if that would work.

Were having someone come in replaster, there's artex? Stuff all over the ceiling etc.

Not sure I could deal with glossy walls, but I guess it depends how glossy. I will definitely be using a paint that easily cleans.

Any colour scheme ideas will be helpful or furniture ideas/ or rugs etc..?

Thanks 🙂

• T Gray
    3 years ago

What about a very, very pale soft pink as you have the continuity of it in each room. Brass framed mirrors in a gallery wall up the stairs, with a very narrow console table or shelf as you come in the door?

• Carolina
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Check out this hallway makeover, it might give you some ideas https://www.goldisaneutral.co.uk/home/2019/4/30/hallway-makeover-before-amp-after-battling-the-beige

I really like the dark woodwork in that makeover. But could also imagine painting the bottom part of the walls (imaginary dado rail) in something like F&B Pigeon and the top part in something like Dimpse, just to make it more interesting.

Also, if it's in the budget, a front door with more glass in it will brighten up the hallway too.

I'd go for a really long line of coat hooks to prevent a thick bundle of coats. But yes, more coat storage elsewhere will help too. I've seen people do the coat hooks lower down, so you don't have it all at eye level, which is really effective.

• 88wj88
    3 years ago

It is a beautiful hall and I love the period features. We have a rule at home that only visitors coats hang in the hall, and ours are in the utility, or in a cupboard upstairs. To bring in more light - definitely more glazing in the front door if its in the budget. A wood floor or tiles are so much easier to keep clean and add interest.

• zestyphresh
    3 years ago

Space is limited but a few recommendations;

• Pegboard for storage (i.e. Ikea Skadis).
    • Shoe storage will be difficult, you probably need to have a look for spice rack style shoe racks that store them vertically, although that will obviously only work for shoes, not boots etc. We used a modified Ikea Trones as it was the shallowest I could find.
    • More lighting, either installed in the ceilings or from existing fixtures using nice fabric cables etc.

Slightly more extreme, and on the more expensive side would be to install something like a sun tunnel, assuming it's loft space above the landing.

In terms of decor then a tiled floor would probably be more in keeping with the age of the house but that width doesn't give you a lot of space to play around with patterns. I like the idea above about doing the bottom part dark, although only if you had additional light fittings I think. It looks like everything white has been done with gloss, I would do it all in a Satin/Matt finish as it reduces visibility of a lot of the knocks and bumps you get in old woodwork.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are going to change our front door eventually, hopefully to something that let's more light in.

Maybe I'll reduce the number of hooks to hell us keep our stuff upstairs! I do need some shoe storage downstairs, I may have a look at some thing like this

Any ideas on how to do the stairs? I wanted picture on the wall up the stairs. Shall I carpet it all, or do a runner style? I don't think I want it all bare wood. Not sure what it's like underneath.

Thanks for all your ideas 😊

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Ikea has some really good narrow shoe storage solutions, like this one...

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Added bonus of storage like that is that it's off the floor, looks more spacious (as much as possible). You could choose lovely new carpet for the stairs...

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There's actually aong radiator going along that wall underneath all the coats... How shall I work with that? I will be replacing the radiator to a more updated one but not sure how to work the storage around it.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Perhaps you could put the shoe storage on the wall opposite the radiator, as shown in the photo with the Ikea shoe storage. That hall is as narrow as yours is. Especially if you thin out the amount of coats.

As a side note: if you like the idea of the patterned tiles, but it's too much work/money, there's also vinyl that looks like that. For example: https://www.vinylflooringuk.co.uk/596-designer-effect-anti-slip-vinyl-flooring-4972.html

• zestyphresh
    3 years ago

Our hallway isn't as long but we used 4 of the Ikea Trones shoe units side by side (so they are only about 60cm off the ground, with pegboard running the same width. You can easily use the hooks on the pegboard for coats etc.

We then switched out the existing ~100cm wide 'standard' radiator for a 30cm wide vertical radiator. This was far more space efficient. I'll see if I can get a picture at the weekend.

• PRO
    Harrisons Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Juby,

I think this space could be something special for you. I understand the problem as we live in a Victorian terraced house and space and light are always an issue. I fee your pain but think i can help.

In terms of the walls, If you want something different, you can colour block the wall opposite the radiator. Potentially the bottom half sage or navy and the top half a fresh and contemporary white like pretty pale from valspar . On this wall, a large landscape mirror will add brightness to space. The remainder of the space can be painted in the lighter 'pretty pale' colour. The arch detail is stunning! You could really feature this by using the wall colour to highlight the details.

We have exactly the same problem with our coats. I am obsessed with shoes and coats! If you were to thin these out, this would make a huge difference. If you use individual hooks, you can space the coats out to thin the density. You have a long wall so have the space.

A big part to add would be a second light at the bottom of the stairs. The light is so bright but is doing nothing for the rest of the hallway or stairs. Also, try a neon light. Gives off bright light in a small way but can add detail and light.

Have you thought about a shelf over the radiator for your keys and wallet? Nice and simple.

Going up the stairs, a gallery is a great idea. Bold prints will add detail and colour. Think about painting a square of the downstairs feature colour to bring continuity to the design all the way up to the landing and to add detail to the light landing.

Please feel free to get in touch if you would like me to create a 2D and 3D design for you to bring this to life for you. Either way, i am confident you can really create a dream entrance!

Thank you

Jon Harrison

Harrisons Interiors

• Alison Heppell
    3 years ago

How about a window above the door ,most Victorian houses had them,usually with stained glass
    Get rid of the coats ,have a mirror in and a skinnyhall shelf

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HarrisonInteriors, thanks for all those ideas, they're great. I like the sound of colour on one wall but not sure if I'll be able to pull off something like that. A visual of some sort would be great.

I will definitely look into a second light option. I think you're right, it needs one more light. Not sure how to space them out, but will have a think about it.

I have been considering individual hooks for the exact reason you mention.

I'm still unsure about whether I want the shelf over the radiator, or turn the radiator into a vertical one instead, freeing up the space for shoe storage that comes with the shelf on top.

Lots of ideas to think about.

• PRO
    Harrisons Interiors
    3 years ago

No problem at all. Happy to help! I really think there is a lot of potential with your space and you will be able to turn it into something special.

If there’s anything I can do, let me know. Looking forward to seeing the brighter after pictures!
    Thanks
    Jon

• Selina Flay
    3 years ago

Hello!

I had a similar problem and I painted the back of my front door a bright yellow and hung the biggest mirror I could find horizontally where the light hit which l think has helped tremendously. It makes the corridor seem less narrow and helps with the light.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @selina, that's so helpful. I think will definitely hang a mirror on that side then.

• E D
    3 years ago

Some great tips and advice. Sorry I’m not that clever, but was wondering, do you need to keep this front door?

• C D
    3 years ago

Love the cat head popping on your last picture 😸

Don’t know if it has been suggested already, but could you change the front door for a door with more glass? Like Victorian style.
    It would bring more light in the entrance.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi ED, no we're are definitely changing this door. I absolutely hate that door!

My cats love to get in my pics CD haha. Yes I am considering changing the door. I can see that will definitely help with the lighting issue.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.