rachael_kendrick

Is it possible to install a dishwasher into an existing cabinet?

Rachael Kendrick
3 years ago

Please forgive me if this is blindingly obvious, but I'm a non-handy millennial first time home owner suffering from an acute lack of dishwasher.

We bought our flat earlier this year. It had a freshly done kitchen, perfect except for a lack of dishwasher. I've had enough and it's time to do something, but I have no idea where to start.

We've decided that we can sacrifice this cabinet next to the oven. In terms of measurements, it looks like if we remove this base cabinet a dishwasher would fit perfectly. Apparently this kitchen is from Howdens, and I'm assuming it's flatpack.

So I have.... so many questions.

1) Can we install a dishwasher next to an oven? A preliminary Google suggests so, but this may be wishful thinking on my part.

2) Is it even possible to remove an existing base cabinet without removing the worktop? The drawer unit fronts are 60cm, suggesting that the overall space is big enough for a full size dishwasher. The interior of the cabinet is roughly 55cm wide, which is too small for a full sized dishwasher, too big for a compact. It's an L shaped kitchen, and the sink is on the other end of the L, so the plumbing is quite nearby.

3) WHO DO I CALL?! Do I call Howdens? Do I need a builder to retrofit the cabinetry, and a plumber to install the dishwasher? We're in South East London, if it helps.

I am really hoping that this is possible, handwashing dishes with a young child and a full time job is getting really old.

Comments (23)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.