heidi_cullen

Anyone else have to do repairs through covid-19?

Heidi Cullen
3 years ago

Sadly I had yet another escape of water from a flat above me. Hopefully this is the last, as the room in question has been ripped out, including the floor, and all leaks repaired.

The main problem this time was the leak under the floor had been weeping for months, if not years. The water had gone down the inside of the partition wall, through the plaster on the stone walls and under the tiled floor. Everything was sodden so having been a brave little soldier through it all, I did cry when all the ceiling, plaster and floor had to be completely removed. You forget how the dust blankets everything, in every room.

My poor ceiling.

No more tiles.

Floor tiles gone.

New units in and walls newly plastered.

Gorgeous solid pewter handles - Smith and Glover on Etsy.

Walls painted.

Sink back in! We have water,

Floor down. Ceramic non-slip (slate) tiles.

Pot hanger hung and already invaluable for the storage space it saves.

Shelves and hanging rails up. Black brackets looking great.

Everything finally back to normal and looking smart!

Comments (4)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

How awful for you. My friend used to live in a high rise flat and she would tell me stories about water leaks affecting flats below, usually from a washing machine. Her flat was a very sturdy council built one and luckily it never affected her flat. If that had happened to me, I would have cried too! Looks like it’s all sorted now, phew!

Heidi Cullen thanked Sonia
  • embzop
    3 years ago

I've had 2 leaks since the first lockdown, 1 in the downpipe (indoors) and another leak from the boiler (in the loft). It was challenging getting both repaired but they are done now. I think your home is now looking gorgeous but I do feel your pain when you find water has spread.

Heidi Cullen thanked embzop
  • Daisy England
    3 years ago

I remember walking into the kitchen several years ago and there was water pouring down the wall and through the ceiling. A family member (not their fault) had pulled the bath plug out and the whole waste came apart causing the dirty bath water to come into the kitchen. I was devastated.

The insurance company wanted to pay for part of the repair as we had fitted units around the bathroom and not all of them were damaged but they all had to match when the damaged ones were replaced.

Out of disaster sometimes comes good things. It looks lovely now and I love all the cats too.

Heidi Cullen thanked Daisy England
  • Heidi Cullen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, the fact the insurance company would not cover more than a third of the repairs surprised me. The excess of £350 to cover all the electricals that shorted because the water went through the electrics was shocking as well. My usual excess is £50 but escape of water is £350 everywhere now. Sometimes I wonder why we pay insurance haha!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.