nicholas_scott81

Moveable walls?

Nicholas Scott
3 years ago

We're beginning what could be a large house extension, including potentially extending the kitchen/diner to include a larger kitchen, extra lounge/snug area and craft/homework area.

My daughter (5) has her own desk in the kitchen/diner which she loves because she can still be involved. However, we'd like a dedicated space for additional storage/organisation, with the option to completely close it off if needs be (quicker than tidying up, right?). We're considering a similar closed/open option for the new snug area.

My initial searches have only shown up commercial options for offices and such. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What options are there for this (sliding partition? bi-folding?)? We'd prefer a more permanent option, rather than freestanding if possible.

Comments (10)

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Pocket doors? You'd need a wall where they can disappear into.

Cloud Residence · More Info

Harlem Residence Children's Room · More Info

• Nicholas Scott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One of my sketches has pocket doors like that but I'm wondering if there are options with even larger openings. It might be the best option for the craft room.

The snug would be in the corner, and ideally we'd have both walls of one corner movable so it can be open plan or shut off for noise.

• Carolina
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You've probably already seen these https://www.movingdesignslimited.co.uk/prestige-movable-walls/ You'd need quite a lot of free space to stack the panels

• Carolina
    3 years ago

But I do like the pocket door solution

• Nicholas Scott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Corner pocket doors! Hadn't seen that before. Nice. I like the movable walls you've shown me, and it's good to see them in a more residential environment. I just wonder about cost. They're probably very expensive. Corner pocket doors might be the best compromise.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I have no idea about cost either :-) Good luck with your quest for the best solution.

• PRO
    Eulinea Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Nicholas, I would recommend Eclisse pocket doors - I used them successfully on a couple of recent projects. You will need to build new walls into which they need to disappear into....

• PRO
    Expand & Build Ltd
    3 years ago

We would recommend using pocket doors in order to maximise the space in your extension.

• PRO
    i-architect
    3 years ago

Pocket doors are relatively expensive tbh! There are alternatives too. You can pivot or slide a whole section of the wall - you basically need to build a timber frame wall panel and then add wheels and hinges or whatever hardwear you need to make it move. The lower cost option is to have a surface sliding door.

To make sure you're doing that in the right place for you then join my free 5 Day Get Ready To Redesign Challenge: https://www.i-architect.co.uk/readytoredesign.html

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.