webuser_864318077

Adding Cabinets to Kitchen - Genius or Crazy?

We are planning to update our kitchen to a more functional layout, lighter flooring and painted cabinets. Our cabinets now are in decent condition, they are MDF but have soft close and sturdy carcasses/hinges. We want some new units with pull out larders and pan drawers, but some of the units might be able to be reused.

The images are current and future (future will be more grey/green cabinets like cromarty from farrow and ball)

We don’t know where the existing kitchen was purchased from.

Is it crazy to try to supplement our existing kitchen cabinets? Or better to just get all new?

Comments (10)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

That looks such a sturdy kitchen, I think it’s a great idea. Lots of people are updating kitchens rather than buying new, which costs a fortune nowadays. There are company’s that actually do the update for you, but I’m not sure of the quality, but you could source all the items yourself. Drawer units are the most expensive, but they are fab if they are big or deep enough for saucepans etc. I have them either side of my oven and hob.
    Cromarty is a beautiful colour - I have it in my sitting room!
    I would love to see it completed.

• rachelmidlands
    3 years ago

We had the same kitchen units in our previous home (rental property.) If memory serves it was from Magnet. Don’t know what it was called tho as we didn’t buy it, but it had the same soft close mechanism and there was a badge inside the drawers. Just hope it helps you narrow down your search for bits.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I have Cromarty in my office but I wouldn’t class it as a green/grey. It’s distinctly green. Mizzle is more green grey.

• Ellie
    3 years ago

You could consider using some units but you might notice the difference.

Also don't restrict yourself to the existing layout. If you are open to suggestions I don't think the back units, left and right, look good. The fridge would be best integrated, oven corner lots weird. I'd put tall units all on the left with oven. Remove the single wall unit from right.

• Ellie
    3 years ago

While you are cooking, If someone walks into kitchen they'll come right up behind you... I'd try change that as I'd always think someone was creeping in the door behind me.

• CosyHome InTheMaking
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Always open to suggestions on the layout! We actually had the ovens/fridge in the left corner, but there is another door there so we weren’t sure if it would feel cramped (we struggle with the kitchen of many doors!)

• CosyHome InTheMaking
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The main door is to the left and the center door just goes to the utility room

• CosyHome InTheMaking
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve updated - what do you think? (Also, now you can see all the doors we are dealing with).

• Wumi
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don’t think it’s a crazy idea, very smart if you can find a close match. Even if the carcasses are slightly different, you (or a carpenter) can make up some doors to match your current ones.

I like your latest layout. Personally, I’d move the stove to the right of the sink (where the toaster is, put the ovens in the island with some drawer for pots, pans, baking stuff.

That way you can reduce the cabinetry around the fridge, and centre it on the wall with 2 narrow tall cupboards (40cm) either side. Great for a pull-out pantry.

I think this will zone the areas a bit better. Cooker and ovens close together, pantry and fridge close together etc.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

It’s quite a tricky one. Assuming you’re not doing this yourself, the cost of x days work for a joiner and decorator to carefully dismantle the kitchen, make up new doors, fit drawers etc and then paint could add up to a lot. It may work out a similar price to go with someone like DIY kitchens whose units come ready assembled so fitting costs are reduced. Maybe you could attempt to get quotes and compare?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.