webuser_997684870

Hideous (?) quarry tiles on window sill

Tania P
3 years ago

We recently moved into our "new" house - a late 1920s semi in Surrey, which needs quite a lot of work. The sitting room has a shallow bay where the window sill is covered with chunky quarry tiles. When I first saw them I thought they were ugly and was adamant we needed to replace/cover the sill (not quite sure with what yet though :D).

However, as we began to strip the 1980s decor in other rooms, I've realised they must be original - we found them under more modern tiles in the bathroom, kitchen, hallway. So I'm now wondering if I'm wrong thinking they're hideous and we should restore and embrace them instead.

Has any of your Houzzers seen this done in a smart way? Or do they really need to go?

I'm attaching a couple of pics. Apologies for the muck - we're currently stripping tonnes of woodchip, chasing lots of electric cables into walls, removing one partitioning wall, so lots of dust everywhere :o The window dressing is the legacy of the previous owners, we haven't had a chance to change it yet.

Comments (3)

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

I like original features but i would say these lean more towards an out room or hallway etc rather than a lounge. Ie tiled ledge in a lounge is not the best look!
    I would replace them with wood if it were my house.

Ultimately, it boils down to what you like and if you hate them anywhere then get rid.

Tania P thanked Tani H-S
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

I don’t think they are original at all. I would have thought the window sill would have originally been wood. I love true terracotta tiles (hand made and baked in the run) but mass produced quarry tiles are ten a penny.
    Oh dear I do sound negative, but if it were my house I’d have skipped them long ago!

Tania P thanked Sonia
  • Tania P
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Tani H-S, a good point about an "out room". Perhaps the ledge under the small window in the hallway can remain as a nod to the history of the house. But I'm certainly not a fan of this look on a bigger scale.

Sonia, not negative at all! I disliked them myself from the outset. The niggle of doubt only started after we've found the same "feature" under the 1970-80s tiles in the kitchen and bathroom which indicates they had been there before that particular make over.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.