isabel_walter51

How to make good damaged/marked limestone floor over ufh

Isabel Walter
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, We’d really appreciate some help with what to do with our marked limestone floor.

Our house was built 8 years ago and we bought it when it was a year old. It has limestone tile flooring throughout the ground floor hallway, WC and large living-dining-kitchen area. To cut a long story short, I was very ill for the first few years we lived here and the house got a bit neglected. The limestone tiles are now marked in high traffic areas (e.g. between hallway and living room) and in the kitchen beside the hob and sink. We got them professionally cleaned and sealed a year ago but it didn’t get rid of the worst of the marks. The tiles are “tumbled” (I think) so their edges are very uneven and some of them haven’t been laid very flat. Plus I think the limestone is porous - it has many small pocks (and some nice shells ;) ) and some larger ones, one of which has fallen through so there’s a hole, and these gather dirt very efficiently. And in the WC they’re plain nasty and unhygienic (I’ll just say, pet (and other) urine...). Although we like them, ideally we’d replace them with something more practical, but they’re laid over a hot water underfloor heating system (embedded in the concrete floor) so that would be a huge hassle, risk and cost. Has anyone done this? Also, does anyone have any ideas for covering up the worst areas, especially in the WC? Tiles over tiles (is this possible with ufh?!), waterproof rugs, some kind of other waterproof flooring? Thank you so much!

Photos show marked area in kitchen and unaffected area - what they should look like! Any help really gratefully received :)

Comments (6)

• iaingwhyte
    3 years ago

I think the first step would be to get them cleaned to a higher standard, what has been done does not look to have been done well. There are cleaners specifically for limestone floors. Then if there are small pockmarks or holes fill them with a matching colour grout. This is what the tile makers do in the factory before the final hone. Finally put a good quality sealer over the tiles, it may need 2 or 3 coats and be repeated every 6 months or so in the toilet and high wear areas. This doesn't take long, perhaps 30 minutes. Going over these tiles with a damp mop weekly and wiping up spills immediately will be a lot cheaper than removing them. You could lay LVT tiles over the top but these will show the underlying tile pattern after a short while especially once the heating is turned on.

Isabel Walter thanked iaingwhyte
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

Hi Isabel, must have been a terrible time for you. As you state, limestone is porous and does need re-sealing often. This is one of the reason people now prefer stone effect porcelain instead as it is much easier to maintain. As the damage is done I can’t see the point of re-sealing it. Short term you could try indoor/outdoor rugs to cover up the worst bits. These rugs are made of recycled plastic but can be easily hosed down outside if they get mucky. The rugs below are from Next but there are sold everywhere. My stepdaughter had a new kitchen and had the old floor removed along with the UFH. It was a messy job and they moved out for a few weeks whilst it was done, but there was a lot of renovation work done at the same time. I do hope you find a solution. If you do decide to change the flooring, have a look at porcelain which is dead easy to look after. Good luck.

Isabel Walter thanked Sonia
  • minipie
    3 years ago

It sounds like you’ve gone as far as ypu can with cleaning and resealing if you already had it done professionally. One option you could look into is microcement, this would be thinner than an extra layer of tiles I believe so less likely to reduce the heating output. However it is a very modern look and seems a shame to cover up nice, if marked, limestone. Maybe in the WC only?

Isabel Walter thanked minipie
  • Isabel Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all the help!

Iaingwhyte - this is great and practical advice, thank you, we’ll definitely try this and as LVT was one option I was thinking of, it’s good to know it wouldn’t work well.

Sonia - that’s so helpful, thanks. I think rugs is a great idea. Pulling up the floor sounds like a much bigger job than we would want to do - and I’ve realised now that the kitchen of course sits on top of the tiles and we definitely don’t want to replace that!

minipie - thank you - I’m going to look into this - like you say, it might be a great idea for the WC.

• Isabel Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks minipie. I have a feeling the company who cleaned the tiles last year tried this method, but the pocks and holes are too deep to be affected... :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.