anthony_liversidge43

Is the newel post and handrail position incorrect?

We had a wall removed to make way for new.stair balustrade. There wasn't enough room for the banister to run from bottom to top so I'm happy with how the bottom half is.
However for the top newel post, the carpenter advised it was positioned there to be in line with the bottom newel post. Makes sense.
Two issues that I need advice on:
1. The newel post is not as secure as I'd like it. I feel it would be better positioned moved forward so it's inline with the step, possibly cut so that part of the post can go down onto the step below. That would give mean it sits more on the stringer too? Am I wrong?
2. I really really dislike the position of the top handrail where it's off centre. Only been in place for a day and my subconscious is always pointing out its off centre! Also hate the half newel post hanging over the wall so much. If the handrail was to go into the other side to the right and return to the half newel at 90 degrees then the half newel can sit fully on the wall.
I'll need a new post and oak handrail to do this but would prefer it to be 100% right before the carpet goes in.
Any advice is welcome

Comments (4)

• Anthony Liversidge
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Anthony Liversidge
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The right angle would be like this

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I asked hubby who is a bespoke stair manufacturer of 40 + years experience in stairs:

The newel post at the top is in the correct position The handrail could come out to the side with a 90 degree turn back to the half newel which could then be aligned fully on the wall. However, the carpenter is not wrong. This is just a preference. It’s easily changed.

Anthony Liversidge thanked Daisy England
  • Anthony Liversidge
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm still surprised it's only a preference and not a given that the handrail is centre of the post. I've been searching the web and can't see any staircases with the handrail off centre like mine is.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.