carl_halpin

Strange shape bungalow -help maximise space plz

Carl Halpin
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi guys,

if possible I would like some advice on the layout and how to maximise it

My idea is to make the kitchen a bedroom with the smaller rooms (currently the utility room and small shower room) a good sized ensuite and walk in wardrobe/room

Then, change living room 2 to a kitchen,

and the bathroom to a utility room,

and change bedroom 1 to a good sized bathroom

the reason being that at the moment, the current kitchen is pretty big, with 4 small double bedrooms and a tiny weeny bathroom and we would like a bigger master bedroom and bigger bathroom

I would rather work with the shell of th house as is, because of drainage and plumbing, rather than adding an extension

but is it weird to have a bedrrom right next to the kitchen

any help would be greatly appreciated

and if anyone has a suggestion about rearranging the layout, then it might settle an argument between me and the wife

many thanks

Carl

Comments (17)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Where are the best views, where you could open outdoors onto garden? That's where I'd want my kitchen to be. It looks like current kitchen has green on both sides, could you knock through kitchen into utility as OT looks like it would be same size as your current living room 2?

I wouldn't want to have a bedroom door off the kitchen.

• Carl Halpin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Ellie, thanks for the reply

Why would you knock through to the utility? I dont understand why you would do that

thanks

Carl

• lkirk44
    3 years ago

You could put a corridor in from hall to new area you want bedroom to keep more private if you have guests?

• Carl Halpin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks for the reply

was just trying on homebyme software and it makes the kitchen a bit of a tight squeeze

- anyone else have any ideas?

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Alternative

• Carl Halpin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks very much for taking the time to do that Jonathan -

what about the bedroom being right off the kitchen though ?

• Carl Halpin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

also, is that using the original floor plan or not? bed 1 and 2 look way bigger

• Ellie
    3 years ago

You said you wanted a bigger kitchen, so removing wall between kitchen and utility would give bigger kitchen? And it looks like it would be same size Ashe one you were thinking about, I like the dual aspect of current kitchen. Assuming your plans are to scale, obviously. Use the other living room to create a bedroom and utility?

• PRO
    Eulinea Ltd
    3 years ago

Carl, I think your idea is good, a Master Bedroom instead of the Kitchen would work, but not sure if you would like the Kitchen at the front of the house? Also, please consider the Utility Room should ideally be off the Kitchen, and last point, where will you position the bed in the new room? It seem you have windows / doors on both sides of the existing Kitchen

• Carl Halpin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Ellie, I said I wanted bigger master bedroom not kitchen - but thanks for the reply

Eulinea

thanks for the reply

A window will be blocked up which will make positiooning bed easier, is the bedroom directly next to the kitchen an issue?

• Nicholas Scott
    3 years ago

You could extend the hallway so that you have access to the master bedroom without having to go through the kitchen but you'll obviously lose some kitchen space.

• Nicholas Scott
    3 years ago

Do you know which walls are supporting? What is that box in living room 1?

• PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Carl, once you have decided on a layout, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. The budget cost provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote

• PRO
    Eulinea Ltd
    3 years ago

Bedroom directly next to a Kitchen is not an issue as long as there is a lobby in between the two. However, you might need to have a mains smoke alarm fitted in this new Lobby and all doors within the Lobby to have 30min fire resistance to make it pass the Building Regs.

• PRO
    HomeMood Interior Design
    3 years ago

Option 1: Creating a large bedroom with ensuite at the back of the house (with walk-in-closet). Main living room turns into the new kitchen with dining area. In the corner behind the new kitchen installing the utility with entry from the hallway. In front of the main entrance will be the seating area (room dividers between areas to let in daylight). Bedroom 1 altered into the new bathroom. Moving the walls between bedroom 2 and 3 and making rooms slightly bigger than before.

Option 2: Creating a large bedroom with ensuite at the back of the house (with walk-in-closet). Turning 2nd living room into the new kitchen with small island in the middle; a new hallway towards the large bedroom; and the utility. Original main living room will be used further as living room, but with new dining area. Bedroom 1 altered into the new bathroom. Moving the walls between bedroom 2 and 3 and making rooms slightly bigger than before.

• Dave Lumley
    3 years ago

I would merge bedrooms 2 and 3 into one, bring the hallway wall over and stick in an ensuite. create a new bedroom at the front of the lounge then use the remaining space to create an open plan kitchen dinner. then RIP outtge existing kitchen and open up the space with big doors either side to enjoy a more open space during the summer. I'm assuming you have garden either side of the kitchen.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Sorry for the slow reply- on my plan I have reduced the size of the back bathroom and moved the corridor thereby making the front bedrooms bigger.
    There are lots of bungalows that have been extended and have a bedroom off another room so I don’t think it’s an issue to have a rarely used bedroom off the kitchen.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.