scotto87

Ideas of remodelling bungalow

scotto87
3 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing this 3 bedroom bungalow.

We would like to make a nice big open plan kitchen / diner / living area at the back. Ideally keep 3 bedrooms, and I need space for a small office due to working from home.

We have a decent size garden put the back so we can comfortably extend back and still have a big garden area. I was thinking of a wrap around extension down the right and across the back. But I’m stumped as to how to lay out the rest.

Comments (20)

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

Hi @scotto87,

I'm sure there will be some lovely Houzzers that will assist, but would be great to know what your needs are, do you need more living space, more bedrooms, more storage etc?

Getting the list of what you want to achieve or must-haves will be helpful. I.e. You want a gorgeous open plan kitchen diner, but would like a separate lounge and need a minimum of three bedrooms, one with an en-suite.

It looks like you've got lots of space to work with!

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have no children at the moment but plan on having at least 2. So I'd say 3 bedrooms minimum.

I need a space for an office. We aren't bothered about ensuites. Bathrroom needs to be big enough for a decent bath and walk in shower too.

It would be good to have a utility room space too.

Nice open plan, dinning and seating area out the back.

Could possibly do away with a living room if we had it incorporated into the back.

But we thought about going into the loft, with a living room upstairs at the front with an inset balcony / seating area as the property looks out over fields with a lovely countryside view out front.

• Related Discussions

Need help with ideas to change front of house

Q

Comments (2)
    This is actually a re-post already. Try increasing the size of photos first before attaching.
    ...See More

Design ideas for a bungalow

Q

Comments (10)
    If you are going to do this - make sure the bedrooms have plenty of wardrobe space etc - don't scrimp ! Ideally every woman wants at least double the wardrobe space she already has !! And a walk-in wardrobe / dressing room is something that would earn any developer brownie points !! So if you have the space ... Use it well !! Breakfast areas in morning sunshine work well and evening sun in the lounge is good - inside outside fireplaces can work really well and everybody needs storage for summer /winter stuff (ski /scuba /suitcases etc ) so worth adding in storage somewhere accessible (like utility room ) for that sort of gear too ! This is an awesome opportunity for you ! Have fun !!!
    ...See More

Ideas for remodelling a built in child bed

Q

Comments (2)
    A picture of the existing bed would be helpful.
    ...See More

Need advice re extension to bungalow

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Jonathandb1972. That looks like a lovely layout I really like the open plan but our driveway around the house will come from the left side so that's why we had thought of addiing the extension to the right. I'm sure we could use your idea on the right side and it would still throw in plenty of light. Regarding the rooms: the long room to the right is the current kitchen which is currently very dark and cold, the small room behind this is the utility, the two rooms to the left of this are a front living room and back lounge. The rooms left of this are 4 bedrooms a bathroom, hotpress and outside toilet. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Scott, we recently provided a first time buyer with a budget cost estimate for similar works. They were then able to determine whether they wanted to go ahead with the purchase of the property. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

bump

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow thanks Nicola, these look great. What software are you using for the floorplans?

Taking some space from the rooms on the right was an idea we had too. but possibly a little from both rooms as not to make the front room smallish.

We had thought the place you have the utility room to be the bathroom as there is no natural light getting in there. It makes sense to use it as a utility room though.

the space down the side of the bungalow is kinda wasted. it's not wide enough for a proper garage, I could get the car down there but it would be a tight squeeze. That's why I thought about extending out sideways across the length of the house too.

I have no idea what these sorts of extensions and remodeling inside will cost me. So everything is just guess work and messing around just now.

Thank you so much for your ideas, they are great and have given me some insight into what's possible.

Where you have placed the stairs is kind of a dead area right now. Used as a connection from the kitchen into the hall. It's where the current loft hatch is.

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

It's just an App called House Design, which another Houzzer, Jonathan said he used it so I tried it out. It's a little glitchy but good for basic floor plans. The 3D element isn't good, I used HomeByMe to visual for furniture and flow for our project.

It is going to be a big project, it's hard to estimate total costs but as a rough guide off £1000-£1500 per square foot added for ground floor extension. I read on Houzz the other day loft conversions can range 25K - 40K.

My husband is a builder, so we've never had to outsource that, but I know he would only price with drawings if it's a big job so it can be hard to get quotes without a clear plan. Finishings, glazing etc add up quickly! He says that the biggest costs of any works are:

- rerouting plumbing (biggest cost is external plumbing, if waste pipes have to change direction to get to the current manhole/mains drain, you need to add a new chamber, so if you can avoid that you can save money)

-architect fees - if it's a 'straight forward' extensions, you can look to use an architectual designer or an independent architect to save money. Many single man architects have fixed prices rather than a % of the build budget/cost

- labour for the work of course!

- windows & glass doors (bifolds/sliders etc)

- Building Control & Structural Engineers - if you can work around any supporting walls, this will keep costs downs on steels.

- finishings/kitchen/appliances.

I assume you have a budget to work with, so that might determine what sort of work you get done. Also looking at what's necessary, although you have some 'dead space' if you can't really utilise the space or add anything new, it would it be better putting the money into a loft conversion which gives you more practical space? ie. going out to the side, does it give you new rooms, or just bigger rooms. You may then have the problem of rooms in the middle not having natural light.

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow thanks Nicola yet again for the very helpful information. I totally hear you with regarding the extending on the side. It would just make the rooms bigger on the side which wouldn't really give us much for the cost.

I have tried to find the app you mentioned House Design but I can't seem to find it. Is it for the PC / MAC? ipad etc?

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Hi

If you ate able to add some wall measurements to the rooms that would help.

I would be guessing at sizes if I was to suggest knocking down walls, so we really need to know how big the spaces currently are.

So it looks like you have the correct number of bedrooms and living spaces? It's just that they are small? I would think carefully about putting on a wraparound extension. We viewed several that had lovely big extended kitchen/diner/living rooms at the back but lots of dark unused "old kitchen/dining rooms, which is awful!

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Ellie

Yeah I don't have access to the property yet. Still going through the purchase. So I can't get measurements yet.

• PRO
    Eulinea Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Scott087,

It looks like your bungalow is a semi-detached, and if so, your extension will fall under Permitted Development as long as it a max. 8m deep from the face of the original existing rear wall. In addition, if your house was built between 1918 and 2018, you could simply add a first floor under Permitted Development unless your house is in a Conservation Area.

In any case, although it is good to get some initial ideas on this platform, I would strongly recommend you approach an Architect as there are many factors to be taken into consideration before a scheme is drawn up.. I usually get to see the property, assess any constraints, figure out how the structure works etc. before I come up with a sketch layout, as I am aware there is a lot of work 'behind the scenes' to arrive at the best layout tailored to your needs and based on the existing house / site specific constraints.

• PRO
    Eulinea Ltd
    3 years ago

Correction: if your house was built between 1948 and 2018....

Also, someone asked for room dimensions - you get these from your estate agent,

Good luck!

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

My pleasure! It’s a very over whelming process, I’m very fortunate to be married to a builder to bug constantly with questions, so it’s nice to be able to share some of what I’ve learnt!

I’m definitely no expert, but would advise getting a architect/ designer in once you’ve got the house (hope it all goes smoothly for you) but it’s good to have a clear sense of what you want to achieve before finding an architect. If possible, try and live in it for a while before starting the work to get a true sense of the space.

Sorry, the app is actually called House Design Pro, it was £2.99 I think! I use it on my iPad.

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great stuff, thanks for that Nicola. I'll get it :)

@Eulinea yeah we will be getting an architect too, I posted just to see if others had ideas. The bungalow is detached :) unfortunately the estate agent doesn't have the dimensions :(

• Kola Alabede
    3 years ago

How about the following
    1 convert the small bedroom into he family bathroom
    2 Convert the living room into the the master bedroom possible with en-suite (trust me you will need an en-suite)
    3 Turn the dining room into a study / home office
    4 add extension to the rear for your open plan living / dining / kitchen area and size to suite your needs

Or alternatively, if possible combine the above with having a chalet style bedroom upstairs and retain your living room

• Sarah L
    3 years ago

I was thinking the same as Kola, but would like to incorporate a utility room too.

• PRO
    APT Renovation Limited
    3 years ago

Hi Scott , APT Renovation here.

We are a design and build company that specialize in design, planning and builds of home extensions. May I ask where this property is located as we can offer you a free consultation if the house is in our area of operation and advise what would be the best for you and your home extension needs.

If you would also like to view some of our work feel free to visit our website.

https://www.aptrenovation.co.uk/ 

Kind regards,

APT Renovation Ltd

• scotto87
    Original Author
    3 years ago

North East England 😊

• PRO
    APT Renovation Limited
    3 years ago

Oh no unfortunately our area of operation is South London so we would not be able to assist with the build. I trust your build goes smoothly :)

Best regards,

APT Renovation Ltd

• PRO
    Carbon Artisan International Ltd.
    3 years ago

Did you decide finally the solution for your heating system? Because of the great open space you should have some solutions for local heated spaces with different temperatures. Would love to hear from you. ... and by the way. do you really just have one bathroom ? puuuh. there will be some traffic with a bigger family or couple of guests. Just think about it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.