gurpsc

Entrance Hall Decor Ideas

Gurps Chahal
3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on our decor ideas for our Entrance Hall, my wife likes the idea of a deep blue which I also like but I'm just a bit scared of dark paint! I've attached a couple of visuals I put together in photoshop (dark blue & a lighter option).

The newly fitted kitchen on the right will be dark blue. We like the mix of oak, grey metal and blue!

The wall halfway upstairs we were thinking a nice grey grasscloth wallpaper as we don't want the dark blue continuing upstairs.

All advice/opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Little Bold Design
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey! What a great space you have to work with! You have no need to be afraid of dark colours and they definitely do not always make the room feel enclosed. I work with them a lot, take a look at the pics on my profile. What colour is your flooring and are you keeping the woodwork and door the same shade as in the pic? Kate x

Gurps Chahal thanked Little Bold Design
  • minnie101
    3 years ago

I like both but to me the wooden door stands out in both.

if you went dark I would probably do a grey on the ceiling rather than continue the blue although I know it will make the walls appear taller. If you went light (which highlights the crittall doors) you could have black blue painted stairs

Gurps Chahal thanked minnie101
  • Ellie
    3 years ago

I love navy but as its already in your kitchen which you can see from the entrance I think you shouldn't go navy as it will all be too much. I also completely missed the crittal doors in the first pic, as the navy took over. The crittal doors should be your feature

Gurps Chahal thanked Ellie
  • PRO
    Magic Projects London Ltd
    3 years ago

I love the dark, looks sophisticated. Dark looks great with Cristal doors in real life, we have seen many. But as Daisy said, there is no right or wrong as it’s all down to your preferences. You have a great space and I am sure whatever you decide will be great. Good luck

Gurps Chahal thanked Magic Projects London Ltd
  • Gurps Chahal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks people - Kate the flooring will be Amtico Cornish Oak laid in a herringbone pattern.

We're thinking of having light oak doors to match the flooring but I do take Minnie's point that it sticks out a bit against the dark blue. The woodwork on the stairs is a bit of a mish mash of woods and although I have softened the darker shades of it by sanding it's never going to match the flooring/doors. I was thinking of clear varnishing the stairs to keep the wood theme but maybe it's better they are painted over in a colour(s).

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

I love the dark blue, but can see you are going for dark blue kitchen units. I'm undecided if it would be too much. However, I think you'd have to colour match the paint to the units if you did go for it and try to get the tones as close as possible.

I personally love the oak against the blue as feel it warms the space up.

At the end of the day, it is a personal choice as mentioned above, and it is only paint. It may not be for everyone's taste, but when or if you come to sell (or you don't like it), you could repaint it to be more universally appealing. I love your mockup, but this is the style I'm drawn to, especially with the crittal doors.

Gurps Chahal thanked Nicola M
  • PRO
    Little Bold Design
    3 years ago

A bright gloss white woodwork looks fabulous against a blue or you could even think about painting the bannister the same colour as whatever you go for on the walls for a really striking look. Kate x

Gurps Chahal thanked Little Bold Design
  • Sarah Trayers
    3 years ago

I think if you had a light ceiling you could go for more colour or a darker tone on the walls. If you like blue try a different shade - oval room blue is lovely or you could go for greys. I am facing similar issues with my own hall, don’t know what to go for!

• PRO
    Noir London Design
    3 years ago

Have you tried to photoshop the wall with the mirror on? Only paint that wall blue.

I do love the colour choice! However, both kitchen and hallway the same colour might be too much in that space.

Just a thought!

• PRO
    Onex Furniture
    3 years ago

The white one looks brighter and makes the space looks larger. While the blue one may look darker and sometimes it may get people feel more blue. So I recommend the white one.

Gurps Chahal thanked Onex Furniture
  • 88wj88
    3 years ago

Go with the lighter colour and give yourself a chance to be well lit when you check yourself in the mirror before you leave the house.....

Gurps Chahal thanked 88wj88
  • peggysue67
    3 years ago

I prefer light for the hall but you could paint the wall beside the stairs where the cupboard door is in a nice dark blue to tie in with the kitchen and then perhaps use the same dark blue in your bathroom upstairs. We have a dark blue bathroom ourselves which is really luxurious and cocooning. You might like to look at little green echo which is a very very pale blue colour for your hall which would complement the darker blue very well.

Gurps Chahal thanked peggysue67
  • HU-127829367
    3 years ago

I would paint everything including the ceiling white but paint the mirror wall dark blue. Keep the flooring and woodwork on stairs to a similar or contrasting palette - these colours clash. Same goes for any furniture and under-stairs door.

Gurps Chahal thanked HU-127829367
  • HU-770752457
    3 years ago

Definitely the lighter colour!

Too dark on a rainy day and I feel personally that entering a light and airy entrance is better!

Gurps Chahal thanked HU-770752457
  • HU-770752457
    3 years ago

The pale blue colour suggested above sounds great too x

Gurps Chahal thanked HU-770752457
  • HU-733302721
    3 years ago

personally I love dark colours and have used them in my home, however, looking at your pictures I think dark blue is a bit overwhelming, the lighter colour shows what a fantastic space you have, without it becoming a bland boring area. ultimately, remember, its only paint,so if you go dark, it's not a big job to change it in the future.

• Wumi
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’d go with the lighter colour and if it feels to bland then go with a coloured featured wall (the wall opposite the kitchen). It’s much easier to paint over a lighter colour than a darker one if you change your mind.

I love colour, so I would personally go with a coloured feature wall in a complementary colour to the blue in the kitchen for some variety. Have a look at colour blocking ideas on the internet for inspiration.

Gurps Chahal thanked Wumi
  • cath
    3 years ago

What a great space, love the Crittal doors. I’d definitely go light, white ceiling and walls with brilliant white gloss skirting to show off the flooring. On the “mirror” wall I’d put wall paper to add interest and bring in the dark blue of the neighbouring kitchen. There are so many patterns to choose from.

The space has a modern feel with a nod to previous eras with parquet type floor and black glazing so I’d look at the William Morris design range of Wallpapers - old traditional style with amazing patterns and colours relevant to today.

good luck

• PRO
    CONSIDERED LIVING DESIGN
    3 years ago

I'm going off topic here, but would you consider removing the handrail on the right of the stairs? as there is a wall there… I think it makes the staircase look crowded, and maybe paint something in your hallway? you want a bit of a wow factor when you enter you house, something to make you smile when you open your front door, It's a lovely, generous sized space with great proportions and could take a great light fitting and a large artwork too

• midwalesparky
    3 years ago

A peacock/petrol bluey/green would be fantastic. It's such a great space, it'll carry it off really well. Lucky you!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.