what’s happening with bathrooms?? all grey and metro tiles

Tani H-S

Having started a thread on needing help with my soft industrial style bathroom, I was originally thinking Victorian style patterned tiles and maybe some warm reclaimed brick slips or wood to warm the very small room up.

I couldn’t decide on how to do it or how the tiles should go and what goes with what so I’ve spent days trawling through this site and instagram and Pinterest just looking at small bathroom design. Yet every one is the same and it’s really putting me off!

It’s either white suit with all metro tiles and Victorian floor or concrete and metro tiles 🙈 (I hate metro tiles)

I do still like aspects of it - especially teamed with black fittings (can’t afford the brushed gold ones!) BUT it’s just everywhere and that’s all I can find in tiles 😱😱😱 or inspiration!

Someone please help me escape from the loop I’m in by posting some stylish and warm feeling small bathroom designs 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Tani H-S

Hi everyone! Sorry - been out of the loop all weekend with barely any signal so couldn’t reply!

Lovely images all, thank you! So many different styles and inspiration there. A lot of gold as well which looks gorgeous with the darker colours and would work with my house decor - except they are out of my budget 😭 I do worry dark might be too much for my tiny bathroom though?

Yes @Minnie - that was the vanity I originally liked so something like that would work or with the natural wood previously mentioned if I went for more grey tiles.

Love the wallpaper idea as well so it might be something to try and work in to make it look funky and different but that the new owners could easily remove and paint over (leaving an neutral bathroom)

• Tani H-S

This is my current upstairs en suite (it has a glass door now so ignore the curtain as they are old pics!)

It’s a small room but has a huge loft window south facing so gets loads of sun in.
    Also have the natural wood and grey marble tiles.

• minnie101

Tani, not sure if you liked the bathroom I posted but if you did I’ve just come across a porcelain version of the Pradena encaustic tile

https://yourtiles.com/ranges/pradena-collection

• Tani H-S

Hi Minnie! I liked a lot of those you posted 😁

I’m not sure if I like the star tile but I’m going to have a look and see what else they have.
    I’ve also seen a nice geometric tile that’s on a Houzz image but it’s not UK so doubt I could match it. Think it’s because it’s on the main wall as you walk in rather than bath or floor.

Just working out the tiling options which I’m not sure of (small tiles cost a lot in tiling labour and grout - hence why I’m trying to keep it almost minimalist and larger format to get the similar effect but cheaper outlay?

We won’t be having it for long so I guess I need to not worry so much about it 😕

• Tani H-S

This one I quite liked

• minnie101

Well I did wonder if you used large format marble for the shower area and then patterned for the floor whether that would be more cost effective?

this is a wall and floor tile from Victorian plumbing you may like?

• Tani H-S

Ha, I am literally on their page as it popped up when googling. I think i liked the fading effect on the other as it was less in your face?

I don’t know what to do really. Don’t know why I struggle with it so much 🙄🤭

• I sketched up some room mock ups on paper with alternative tiling and ruled out patterned on the bath wall and bath unless it’s a delicate pattern as the b&w ones are way too much for a small room and look too busy.

I could have patterned on the sink wall which you see when you walk in but that means plain grey concrete style on the floor which will show every mark! (Ground floor bathroom)

So I literally have two options for the floor as I see it. Patterned tile or wood effect.

Someone said not to have patterned and plain and wood tile together so I just have to decide if I want a warmer wood feel to the room or classic monochrome.

Which would be easier to sell??? Ha ha.

You know what the rest of our house is like - vintage wood floor lvt and lots of industrial glam feel with dark off black walls and metal.

• minnie101

Well I know I’ve seen the tile you wanted before, British Ceramic Tile used to make it or very similar and I’m sure others sold it, I just can’t find it atm

It‘s hard to say what will sell, probably metro tiles 😂 What about marble and wood?!

remind me, was the sink next to the bath or in the corner?

• Tani H-S

Ha ha re metro tiles 🤣

Oo well I will look on their archives and see what they have. It used to be on Victoria plum!

I do like marble and had it in my last house which is why I think I wanted something different this time or maybe using gold with it to warm it up but I can’t afford the gold features. Also it was a nightmare to keep the floor clean as we have a black pug who moults constantly 😱

• Tani H-S

p.s. @minnie101 - the wc will be next to the bath - so they will all be on the same wall in effect with the door opposite the sink (far right).

Think this is the room size on my app - but again, ignore the wall and floor tiles as I was just messing around with some standard ones they have on there but they don't do any decent tiles and I cant separate them as I would use them in the real bathroom!

Just an idea for the layout.

• Nicola

Hi Tani, I've just had a play on SketchUp adding an image of a tile to see if it will help you visual better. If you don't mind giving me the dimensions of the room, I can draw it up and then drop different tile options that you like so you can see the combinations?

This is the quick test I did using the first patterned tile I came across. It's not the most realistic but hopefully it can help with the visualisation to narrow some options down?

• Tani H-S

Ah that’s really kind of you! Thank you. It’s 2203 x 1806 (so 1800 wide bath side and 2200 width as you walk in allowing for plasterboard on the wc wall and then 200mm tiled section to the left of the bath which covers the gas meter. Can’t move it so it will be a bath shelf.

• Nicola

Hi Tani, my pleasure. I've just mocked up a few different options with some random tiles. If there are any tiles in particular you like the look of, send me a link. Let me know if you want to see any other layout options.

Opt 1. Using Laura Ashley Wicker tiles in the dark & light version, softened with a little touch of pink paint.

Opt 2. Concrete Effect on the Floor

Opt 3. Similar to your original mock up, concrete tiles on wall.

Opt 4. (Sorry not the best version of wood on the floor) Lighter concrete effect and softer black & white pattern.

• Tani H-S

Morning! Ah thank you ☺️
    Personally I always like the brick but they are so expensive and hard to render than tiles so I’m not sure if I should still consider them or not?. Would probably have the concrete half wall and brick above but might need to build a small ledge behind the sink and WC so it doesn’t look odd?

Do you think brick is too much for selling even though we have exposed brick in our lounge?
    I could expose the brick above the bath or on the right side wall but omg, it took me weeks to remove and clean and the dust!!!! 😱
    Also never thought about using darker tiles at bottom and lighter ones at the top as option 2. Would this help make the room feel shorter or more enclosed do you all think?

• Nicola

I love exposed brick, but perhaps tiles are a bit more universal for a bathroom? It would put me off, but we've had it on our last two homes, but not in the bathroom. We actually used brick slips in our last kitchen which was a lot easier than knocking off the render and cleaning them like we did the first time!

I actually really like the half dark/half light tile. I was inspired by this photo (I just received samples of them today!)

• Tani H-S

Yes I guess our house isn’t a loft apt so it might seem a bit odd in a family bathroom.

I’m thinking of ditching the patterned tiles as the endless searching for something that isn’t too busy or too flowery (husband thinks they are too busy even though we have a vinyl version in the utility and cloakroom, lol)

So - I’m thinking ....
    mid grey larger concrete effect tiles (not too patchy style)
    Either shower wall and bath and floor with lighter ones (??) on the bath ends and wood effect halfway on the sink wall??

Or

All mid on the floor, bath and bath wall (not sure about the bath ends?) and just half tiled wood sink area OR same concrete and wood/black sink unit with black fittings.

Will see if I can find some images of what I am thinking.

I would like some texture in there and not sure how to work on light/dark or if it should be one tone 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Tani H-S

Hope this doesn’t post twice.
    Not sure if the grey ones works best because of the gold and black might be too dark

• minnie101

Tani, I saved these tiles yesterday as thought you may like them but IMO they’d need a wood vanity

• Tani H-S

Oo nice. Yes definitely re the wood vanity - or perhaps even wood tiles somewhere.
    I will have some un-tiled walls which will lighten the room up as well.

I want to add in some smaller tiles and wondered if anyone had ever grouted them with gold??? LOL

• Nicola

Concrete and wood is what I originally planned to do for ours (now leaning towards more colour!) and the nicest options I found were from EasyBathrooms, do you have one near you? The greys are so hard to judge properly on screen and samples never really show the full effect of the tile!

https://www.easybathrooms.com/tiles/tile-effect/concrete-effect-tiles

I'm not how good the gold grouting is, but you could use gold trim?!

• Tani H-S

Aw no we don’t have one here but we have an amazing showroom in Preston which is the glitziest showroom I’ve ever been in to 😂
    Maybe the site does samples though I can order in if I can’t find any local. It’s where I got my tiles for my en suite as they have two floors of tiles.

Yes grey is really hard to judge and it’s a case of I know it when I see it type of choice.

I know what you mean re colour. Although with some bare walls there will be options for me to add paper if I wanted to as minnie101 suggested

• minnie101

I saw some old cracked tiles years ago which were “grouted“with gold and looked good but I don’t know if shiny new ones would be a bit bling?

i thought I might start the sealed plaster conversation again 😂

• Tani H-S

He he, cracked plaster and gold infills 😍

I saw some grey geometric ‘tile’ on google which has Matt gold grout and it looked lovely as a feature because the grey was matt and earthy.
    Except ... it turned out to be vinyl 🙈 Doh!

• Tani H-S

Morning all!

So I’ve now found on eBay (I know, I know) a brushed gold shower which also has a bath filler for under £100 LOL.

It’s a seller specialising in just taps and showers and mostly selling to a German market although still made in China of course like most products.
    The thing is, I’ve seen the exact same shower and images on other listings for almost £300 from uk sellers.
    So really, is there going to be much difference?? It’s externally fitted so worse case, I can replace it easily with another one for the same price or a black one if it fails 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Worth the risk??

• Tani H-S

Also ... I went into that posh showroom yesterday and omg, they had a display with this realistic concrete wall panel (except they were super thin and super large tiles!!) which was amazing. Too big for my bathroom due to having a bath and lots of wastage but they do smaller tiles as well.
    I realised that I don’t like square tiles so much (not sure why??) and prefer oblong but most concrete ones come in square so 🙈

Italian of course. It looked much nicer up close rather than the image but if anyone sees anything like this that doesn’t cost £60sqm 😱 then let me know, ha ha

• Nicola

Ouuu I love those! Could you ask your tiler to contact them to see if they offer trade discount? Most places offer good discount for tiles.

• Tani H-S

I can certainly ask my plumber to ask him (not met him yet, ha ha)
    They do a 40x80 I believe which might be nicer for my sized room.

• what did you think about the gold shower?? Worth a risk?
  • Nicola

They should perfect! I totally had a mind blank but I helped my mom with her new bathroom earlier this year and the tiles she chose were the ones I was thinking for ours originally ! They are 40x80 but lighter concrete effect. Here’s a photo of the bathroom!

I think as long as the reviews are good, go for the tap! I’ve purchased from eBay (from UK sellers) and they’ve all turned out ok.

• Tani H-S

Oo that’s a very trendy bathroom for a mum!! Ha ha (comparing it to what my parents would have of course 🤣)

• Carolina
    last modified: 3 months ago

But Tani... it is grey ;-) https://www.porcelainsuperstore.co.uk/chicago-light-polished.html (more options there)

colourhappy

Porcelanosa Dover range look like concrete and come in different colours, Topo is a warm grey, I have it on my bathroom floor. On offer at the moment I think, worth checking.

• Tani H-S

@Carolina I know 🤣🤣
    Ive kind of come to the realisation that for small rooms, I have a limited main tile colour palette so might have to jazz it up with accessories!

• Tani H-S

@colourhappy thanks! Will check them out to see what other sizes they do.

The posh showroom I went to had some other nice concrete tiles at £22sqm which was really cheap (in the discount trade section)
    But, again they were all square.

How do you work in square tiles with a small room?? Just rely on the tiler to have a good cutter to split them into two pieces?? Lol.

colourhappy

I would use square tiles and grout them with the same coloured grout. If it's a perfect match then the floor just blends. I would rather have the perfect colour and texture and get square than compromise and get rectangular if that makes sense.

• Tani H-S

Yes of course. I can get 75x75 as well but just not sure how to finish areas off where I might need say 100mm of tile? 🙈
    The wall is 1800 wide which fits 3x 600’s in give or take (it’s actually bit wider than 1800) although the bath is only 1600 and not centred.

The 75 tile is a different one but would work better on the end of the bath but it would leave me with 350mm space in the centre of the wall so how on earth do you decide what will look right 🤣

• kjas11

Hi Tani, not sure if I am allowed to ask (so sorry if I’m not!) but can you share details of posh tile shop in Preston please? I live near there, the building work on our extension is about to start and I’m looking for inspiration 😊

• Tani H-S

Hi, oh yes it’s called Roccia which is near the estate with The Range on. Not in the town centre

• kjas11

Thanks Tani. I know exactly where you mean.

• minnie101

Hi Tani, just looking at a house tour and thought of you. Given you may be moving thought something classical like this would work and tie into the existing panelling albeit a different style. I also saw this painted ribbed panelling which I love!

• Tani H-S

Funnily enough, I did consider panelling on the bottom in that colour as the ceilings are so high!

I’ve already bought a brushed gold shower and will get the same in a tap as well as black fittings so it’s a mix (think a gold radiator would be too much 😂)

That ribbed effect is really nice as well. Wonder what they used.

Don’t you think it would make it quite heavy for a tiny bathroom? I was only going to tile the bath/shower area and just above the sink to save on cost

• minnie101

I think that room is identical in size to yours, it’s just the mirror making it look big?

The panelling would be good to break up the ceiling height, maybe just have a little less contrast with the wall colour?

I thought you were building a shelf for the sink or have I made that up?!

i think there are various places that sell the ribbed panelling, the non-acoustic is cheaper

https://www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/products/acupanel-contemporary-walnut-acoustic-wood-wall-panels?variant=35993316819100&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Z7tj_nq7AIVBrp3Ch1jGQIvEAQYAyABEgIq_PD_BwE

• Tani H-S

Oo no - I think we are just going to try and make a sink unit but not a shelf - unless we can make one with a drawer in it, I’m not sure.

Just the metal ones are so expensive so looking at hacks at using say a metal side table and wall mounting it instead as so much cheaper for the same look 😂

• Tani H-S

Hi! Well finally our roof light went in! Whoop.
    Weirdly - the room feels a lot bigger now 🤔

So far - I have bought a gold shower, wc and that is it.

I Still can't decide about the tiles.
    Part of me is struggling because I'm wondering if the main wall as you walk in should be more of a feature over the bath wall?? It's the first thing you see.

Also, if I go for say a patterned marbled tile either dark (like my upstairs bathroom) then how do you match plain tiles with them when there aren't matching tiles and it's online 😢😢😢 what do you put on the floor as don't want light tiles ie can you put a darker version of the same tile or will that look odd?

It's driving me insane now.

Some I like are only 600 but this will look stupid on the bath walls because the bath will be 700 wide.
    I've found some 1200 tall ones but again, how do you deal with either end of the bath when it's 700.??
    Help, 😭

• Tani H-S

Oo we are also going to lower the ceiling slightly as it's lath and plaster and will crack if we don't repair it.
    It's a shame the rooflight couldn't have gone closer to the other wall where the light is needed more but there was a huge beam in the way 😞

• Tani H-S

Forgot to post my pics of the room.
    Electrician coming soon to put spot lights in the top although not sure where they can go yey

• pmasmith3

600 tile with very narrow grout lines.

• Tani H-S

Ah you have added a small piece on the corner. I think it might look odd with mine if I am tiling all the way up the wall as it's a shower over bath as well. Also the other end will be all tile otherwise it will look odd I think having just one end done.

• pmasmith3

We have the same tiles in the shower room - floor to ceiling - the cut tile looks fine with the extra thin grout line. The wall tiles have matching grout. The floor tiles are 60x60 and are a darker grey but with the same light grout as the wall tiles.

• Tani H-S

Actually after my rant, I looked back through the pics and realised I really do love this bathroom. I know mine will have a bath instead but it's a similar size and same rooflight and I'm going for gold and black accessories.

So if anyone can help me with working out how to do the tiles around the bath and floor that would be great.

I'm thinking plain charcoal on the bath and wall and perhaps the hegagon tiles where the sink will be ie going up floor to ceiling as a feature.

Just not sure about the floor and if I should put tiles halfway on sink wall as well?
    Will try and get some more pics later

• Tani H-S

Strip idea going up the wall with floating sink (no shelf I think)
    Perhaps hexagon or the large herringbone I love