louise_baynton

Bifold doors - flush threshold or rebated?

L B
3 years ago

I am getting bifold doors installed and really keen to have a seamless transition from inside to out, but the supplier is encouraging me to go with a rebated threshold to keep the water and wind out. I would love to hear from anyone who has bifold doors, what you have and whether you recommend it?

I am in London and not in a flood area or anything like that so no extreme conditions to deal with!

Comments (6)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Rebated as what your supplier says is best.

• HU-209277437
    3 years ago

What’s rebated bifolds??

• L B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Rebated threshold, basically means that there will be a slight difference in height between inside and outside level instead of it being flush

• Phil Scott
    3 years ago

Flush thresholds are really only suitable for internal bifolds. For external bifolds in the UK definitely go with a rebated (sometimes called ‘weathered’) threshold.

You can still make the internal floor virtually level (1-2cm max difference in height) to get the seamless transition.

• HU-209277437
    3 years ago

Why discount flush?? Would you not install some drainage at the front ??

• L B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes we will be putting in drainage at the front and ideally would like a flush threshold, just getting pushback from the supplier as it looks like all brands really recommend flush for internal only.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.