karty11

Should I keep original internal doors?

karty11
3 years ago

Hi. I wanted some advice on internal doors. I recently bought a 1930’s house that needs a complete renovation. I am pretty sure the doors are original and I would like to keep them if possible (see photos). I have contractors coming in to do the work and because they have layers of paint on them, are (slightly?) damaged in places and with old handles/locks, they are adamant they should be replaced with new ones. What are peoples’ views on this? Is it worth keeping them? I looked into having them stripped and it seems quite reasonable (around £20-30 per door) but if I do that is it a)ok to fit them to new door frames? b) how easy is it to fill the gaps/fix the damage?

and c) would it then be possible to replace the handles and/or locks? Would be grateful for any advice. I am really keen to keep the character of the house and want a traditional feel. Thanks!

Comments (61)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.