beth_p80

Repairing asbestos Artex ceilings

Beth
last modified: last month

Over the past few years cracks have appeared in our Artex ceilings, I've attached pictures of the worst cracks. Every bedroom has the same ceiling and all have cracks around the border. Is there a way to fill this in? It would cost a lot to plaster/overboard every ceiling so I'm wondering whether applying filler on top and paint would be sufficient? We've had it tested for asbestos and it came back positive, I just want to make sure nothing is being released especially as it's in the bedrooms!

• Jonathan

These are minor decorating issues. I would use decorators calk and then paint it.

• Beth

@Jonathan So it would be safe to use decorators caulk even though it contains asbestos?

• Jonathan

You of course realise that advice on an open forum comes with no absolute guarantees. But I remember having these ceilings and many hundreds of thousands of people still do and most of us don’t worry as we realise that the risk is very small if the ceiling isn’t disturbed (for instance sanded). Asbestos was also widely used in brakes for cars and planes so it’s not just in this ceiling. If it really bothers you you could have it professionally removed or skimmed over

• Rowland

hi Beth,

asbestos is dangerous when the individual fibres are released and breathed in. the presence of asbestos within the artex is only a problem when fixing and altering the rooms. I personally would have it removed, but that can be costly.

you can fill and decorate without rubbing down, but you will probably get crack reoccurring. alternatively skim over the ceiling and decorate as that will give you a good base for decorating and avoid the worry of the asbestos.

it can limit what you can do in terms of adding lighting and other improvements to the house as well as adding to costs going forwards as you will have to tread carefully around any holes being formed in the ceiling for lights etc.

best

Rowland

• Beth

@Rowland @Jonathan Thank you both for your replies. As we live in a really old house I'm not sure the ceilings would take the weight of being skimmed, also would this be a bad idea if it's flaking in places? I have seen overbearing suggested online but would that not involve disturbing the Artex when trying to find the joists and drilling the boards in?

• Sonia

Hi Beth, Skimming over the Artex does not necessarily involve having to add plasterboard. We had our 1980s Artex skimmed and it really was quite straightforward, for the plasterer anyway! Why not have the most on show rooms done. My bedroom has wallpaper on the ceiling done by a previous owner but I painted it white and it is fine. Here’s the skimmed sitting room.

• Beth

@Sonia Thank you for your reply, wow that looks really good. I'm just concerned about the cracks meaning the Artex will struggling to hold the weight of the ceiling, especially as our house is so old. Do you mind me asking how much your ceiling cost to plaster? I honestly won't be offended if you don't feel happy answering, I'm just trying to work out how much it would cost us as the room looks around the same size as ours. Were there any cracks in your ceilings as well before they were skimmed?

• ebony45

We have had all our Artex ceilings skimmed, it was a few years ago & there have been no problems. Having walls & ceilings skimmed is relatively inexpensive, biggest problem is finding a decent plasterer who is not booked up weeks/months ahead.

• Sonia

Hi Beth, I can’t remember the exact cost as it was several years ago, possibly £200-£300 I think? A plasterer usually charges £150-£200 a day, plus the plaster. More in London. My ceiling was a mess with two cracks right across the room and the plasterer said they may reappear, but they haven’t thank goodness! Artex isn’t as heavy as you are imagining. Find a decent plasterer (by recommendation) and you can get their advice too.