Bungalow revamp

Ess Vee

Hi all 👋🏽
Lockdown has meant I've finally decided I need to stop procrastinating and to get some home renovations done.

would appreciate thoughts and suggestions as I'm a total novice!

attached: - current layout
-architect plan A

• plan B
  • my noodling plan C

I like the idea of bifolds across the entire back, but I'm not so keen on an open plan kitchen, living space. any thoughts on a partial wall? I guess there is no way to separate off the rooms completely?
originally thought of having a shower room and ensuite downstairs - now I'm thinking one shower room with Jack and Jill doors
I don't really need so many bedrooms so was thinking there could be pocket doors between the bedroom and living room to all is it to be a through-lounge most of the time...

upstairs create a dedicated office space bedroom and bathroom.

does it all look cramped and boxy?
am I optimising on the space?

thanks,

• Ess Vee

Can an attic hatch door be created and can this part of the roof be used for storage?

Base 2 roof construction

i would say go ahead with plan C on ground floor definitely. 2 bathrooms as like on plan A it would be very tight and don't forget about it plan C is your idea that means you more prefer that idea too.

in regards of the loft area i agree with Jonathan. we moved a staircase on one of the bungalow we built to create L shaped corner area for a bedroom and bathroom upstairs.

however you might end up better if you move the bathroom to the right hand side and have the bedrooms towards to the left then you could still use a lower area as a storage. if the bathroom fitted close to the back you would loose a chance to use all of your space in the hatch.

• Ess Vee

Thank you both!

@Jonathan as the loft conversion will be new; I've kind of become accustomed to sleeping downstairs 🙃
    but am looking forward to having a bedroom upstairs

You've given me food for thought re: how much space is upstairs and to investigate that further. i'm keen to understand what can be used as storage, but also what 'could' be used with any of the rooms (study, bedroom, bathroom).

I've had two people independently suggest the staircase should be as shown - but again I'm curious to find out if that's because I've spoken about keeping the bedrooms relatively untouched downstairs - maybe that's influencing the layout.

I like the idea of having bifolds across the entire back.

@Base 2roof construction

agree - to try to get it as much as possible to my liking - but knowing nothing about construction; need advice on being practical 😬
    Yes, originally I'd thought of having a shower room and ensuite downstairs - but I'd rather use the space to create one shower room with a luxurious big shower!
    the Jack and Jill doors and use of pocket doors should help.

Definitely going to investigate loft structure and dimensions some more based on your comments!

thank you!

Base 2 roof construction

if you need any help feel free to contact me

Nest Estimating Ltd

Hello, once you've made a decision on the plans, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money