No hallway in 1930s semi- do we have options?

Vicky Pow

hi

im buying a 1930s semi that needs a full refurb and has the potential for loft and rear extensio. Already has 2 story side extension.

One thing that I can’t get my head round is if we can create a hallway. Current layout is small porch and then front door opens straight on to the stairs with door to the left to the living room.

We figure there is room for a small shoe rack and coats in the porch. Not too worried as there is a side access and we are going to do a boot room. However, I’m worried that having no hallway will detract from the rest of the house once it’s done!

Any thoughts on how we can carve one out? could slice a bit off the living room but not sure if the wall will be load bearing or not? would Also need to have a think about front bay window (needs replacing anyway)

Can’t steal space from right hand side as garage is at a lower level than the rest of the house and that wall was the old exterior wall.

Other thoughts are opening the landing up above the hall so at least there would be more light.

What do you think? Is there a way to create a hall or just learn to live with it. Would it put you off buying a property?