kateburt

1980s redbrick house - front door ideas?

Kate Burt
last modified: last month

We’re replacing a upvc front door on a rented house, for the tenants but are sure what direction to go in style-wise...

The exterior of the house is not especially beautiful, but inside it's quite different and the tenants appreciate good design. So we'd like to improve the exterior as much – as much as is possible by replacing a front door.

The house is in a terrace on an urban estate and some houses have the original plywood council doors and big square chrome handles which are quite cool, in a way. We’d like to make a nod to that but update it a little and make sure it's all solid and good quality.

So I'm thinking plywood - but perhaps oak veneered to upgrade it a little, and really heavy so it lasts. Also door numbers in a contemporary font and a comparable contemporary handle. The latter is proving elusive and I have yet to be inspired by any modern door numbers. And should the new door be painted instead? Or glazed? (The hall isn't too dark so it doesn't necessarily need added light.) Would a long-ish vertical metal or black handle look right and vaguely sympathetic to the surrounds? Should the door frame be bare wood?

Any ideas?

The door as it is

One of the original estate doors and handles - not lovely but a souped up version with wooden frame and nice furniture could look quite 80s-cool?

The unusual original council-supplied handles. We and the tenants are quite drawn to these...

What about a painted door? What colour works with red brick?