will_spencer18

Hob to cooker hood distance dilemma - tall wall units!!

Will Spencer
3 years ago

My ceilings are pretty tall so I have opted for 900mm high wall units in my new kitchen. However when planning the canopy extractor, I am struggling to decide on the size of bridging unit used. At the moment there is quite a big gap (1100mm) between hob and extractor. I’ve read it needs to be around 650mm for induction hobs. The real life photo attached is this setup.

However on the drawing attached, does the bridging unit which brings the distance down to approx 750mm look too low? I’m not sure if it’s because the wall units are so tall it just looks out of proportion?

i just don’t want an extractor that doesn’t work effectively! I am quite tall at 6 foot 1 so the 1100 gap means I can operate the extractor properly but at the same time the 750mm gap is also fine as I don’t bash my head.

what are your opinions? Help please!!

Comments (7)

• Will Spencer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oops forgot to attach the perspective of the lower cooker hood option

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

It's completely up to you and what you feel looks right. Obviously the closer the extraction the better it will work and 750 is the usual distance from the cooktop. However, if you prefer the higher bridging unit, that will be completely fine too as steam goes up!

good luck
    Emily x

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

is it possible to get one the same size as the microwave door to continue that line across?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Hope you are tall, as that microwave looks to be higher than would be safe for lots of people !

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Will, I would have had the extractor at the height as in your 2nd image but would have all the units in line sitting at the same height.

• Will Spencer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Ellie - how do you mean? Sitting at the same height at the top or bottom of the wall units? They’re in line at the top, if they were in line at the bottom it would be too low. The gap between worktop and other normal wall units is 575mm. Thanks :)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Sorry, yes I would have had all units aligned top and bottom, so would have not had the 900 unit to allow the extra gap needed. But I realise you already have the kitchen....

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.