webuser_84591735

Debris falling down unused chimney

HU-84591735
3 years ago

I have one of those large fireplaces that's been closed off. We put in an 100cm cooker in the newly tiled area and the builder cut out a large hole in the board overhead to install an extractor of the same size. The extractor vents out the wall through a duct. The problem we have began when the storms hit real bad and THINGS started coming down the chimney and landing on the extractor and the board overhead. Bits are falling through and landing on the cooker. We're on our second extractor and this one has rusted too and we worry the entire overhead is going to come crashing down with all the debris that's collecting unseen, but quite audibly, on top of the extractor. We would appreciate advice please on the best way to stop the debris and rain water coming down.

Comments (4)

• Richard L
    3 years ago

Local chimney sweep to give some advice perhaps?

They're used to managing chimneys - active or not

HU-84591735 thanked Richard L
  • Daisy England
    3 years ago

Cap the chimney off at the top on the roof area.

HU-84591735 thanked Daisy England
  • HU-84591735
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Richard and Daisy for your suggestions. The chimney is capped so it must be because of age. The house was built in the 1800s.

• HU-653039147
    2 years ago

Did you manage to get this sorted? We have the same issue

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.