Is converting a conservatory to extend the kitchen going to be cheaper

Susi Knightwell
10 days ago

We've just bought a house, and I'm trying to figure out how we can make better use of the back of the house. Currently there's a slightly awkwardly laid out kitchen an an extension that is pretty stuffy when it's hot. Ideally I'd like a much bigger kitchen and to get rid of the conservatory. But we're on a budget and I've not got the first clue as to how much something like that might cost. Might it be cheaper because the conservatory has a concrete floor?! Anyone done something similar?

Also (and this is how naive I am), how do you even go about getting an extension? Do you go to a builder with plans? Do you get a builder to come up with ideas? Does it involve an architect? Any guidance on rough costs, whether that includes actually installing a kitchen, as well as timelines would be massively appreciated.

• Phil Scott
    10 days ago

We’re in the process of taking down our conservatory and having a rear extension for exactly the same reasons - a bigger kitchen and it’s terrible in the depths of winter and height of summer.

You can try to sell your conservatory if it’s in reasonable condition. We got £350 for ours which is much better than the £600 in labour and skip hire it would have cost to have it removed. Even giving it away for free can still be worth it if it saves labour costs.

I would assume that nothing about the conservatory can be reused. Generally the foundations and flooring are just not good enough. But if it turns out yours are then you’ll be pleasantly surprised rather than having a hole in your budget.

Cost wise it depends on how big the area is, where you live and what you’re having done. We’re around £50k for a build of 23 sqm, but it also involves some drainage work and a very large steel beam. All decorative works (including the kitchen) are excluded from that as you can spend anywhere from £5k to £50k+ on a kitchen depending what you’re looking for.

We got an architect and a structural engineer as ours is a bit complicated with the span of the steel beam, but if it’s quite simple you may be ok just with a builder. You can usually find a few architects who will come out to quote (or do a video call in the current climate) and they will be a good source of advice. We struggled to get builders interested without architects drawings as the drawings show you are serious, but they could just be because everyone is extending their properties where we live so builders are in high demand.

When you need layout advice there are lots of people on Houzz who can offer very valuable input so never be afraid to ask.

• Susi Knightwell
    10 days ago

That’s so useful, thank you!

Nest Estimating Ltd
    8 days ago

Hi Susi, we recently provided a first time buyer with a budget cost estimate for similar works. This service can be used prior to having Architect drawings in place. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. Our current lead time is 7-10 working days

Atelier Saara Karvonen
    8 days ago

Hi Susi! I also recently bought a house and was planning on doing an extension! (also I am an interior designer!)

To start with, in some cases you can use the existing foundations and floorings, but it really depends on the state of the conservatory. To go from a conservatory to an extension, you will need to get in touch with the local council for planning permission and building regulations. If you work with an architect/engineer he will do that for you! The price will depend on your project, on the quality of the materials and if you want the same size space. Also, don't forget that the wall between the kitchen and the conservatory is load bearing, and opening it up for a bigger kitchen will cost money too!

I can help you getting a better idea of the price if I know a bit more about the project, and the area you live in (London being the most expensive area in the UK). I can also let you know who to contact depending on the projects needs! Feel free to message me privately if you do not want to share all these details on here :)