morrishughes39

Coloured Front Door with Golden Oak Windows

Laura
4 days ago
last modified: 4 days ago

I wrote this originally about asking if the golden oak windows were old fashioned but I’ve looked back at pictures of my house and I’m happy that I like them 😂

My dilemma is now my front door. I hate it!!!!!

I’ve never seen a golden oak door I like, plus I hate the surround. My partner is going to replace the surround with a wooden one similar to what would have been there originally.

Would it look odd having golden oak windows, but the door surround white (would consider a cream) with a coloured door? Say pale green for example? I’ve tried looking for pictures where this has been done and can’t find any.

It‘a such a big expense, I just don’t want to get it wrong. Thanks

• Sarah L
    3 days ago

I would match the door surround to the upper window surrounds, and have a black door to go with your railings. I think white surrounds for the door and windows would brighten it up.

Laura thanked Sarah L
    Best Answer
  • Laura
    4 days ago

We will be rebuilding the wall and having railings and a new gate. The stone work will be sand blasted/cleaned so the bricks around the windows will be pale yellow

• Sonia
    4 days ago

So the door and surround is natural wood? If it were mine I would paint the surround white and the door in a nice sage green or pale blue. I personally would paint all the windows too in white or cream or sage green, all colours that go so well with a stone house. I don’t think the golden windows do anything for the such a nice property. Here’s some ideas

• Laura
    4 days ago

Thank you, but I’m definitely keeping the golden oak windows. the surround of the door is Upvc so my partner is replacing this with wood. It’s whether a different coloured door would look strange with the golden oak windows

• moorlikeit
    3 days ago

I’m with Sonia. I think the oak window frames will always be jarring as they are not in keeping with a period property. I would paint them in a heritage white paint. Sonia has posted great front door pics but these fab colours would not work with the golden oak. I’m not at all sure what would be compatible with them, maybe a stronger colour to balance the very strong statement that the oak frames make e.g. deep green, navy blue or black. Basically, you need to decide what look you are going for: either a return to the period style or a 1980s revamp look. If you are keeping the frames, it makes sense to leave the door frame as well and just paint the door.

However, I do hope that you will be inspired by the pics Sonia posted as they are delightful homes and creating a similar look would definitely add value to your Victorian terrace house.

• Laura
    3 days ago

It’s only the door that needs replacing. The windows are in quite good condition. I haven’t got a spare few grand to change them even if I wanted to.

the green looks nice on old farmhouses, but don’t think it’ll suit a Victorian terrace. I can’t find any picture examples to change my mind. I always think cream looks like they were once white but have now discoloured.

thanks though

• Sarah L
    3 days ago

Found a couple of examples with black and pale green door.

sarah_leach22's ideas · More Info

sarah_leach22's ideas · More Info

Laura thanked Sarah L