nicholas_scott81

Help choose our master bedroom layout

Nicholas Scott
3 years ago

We've recently moved house in Edinburgh, and are extending into the garage to give us an additional bedroom, bathroom and utility room. However, we're undecided about the potential master bedroom design.

The proposed master bedroom would be (not including wardrobes) roughly 4.7m wide (West to East) and just over 5m deep (North to South). We're knocking down half the side of the house and extending along the back to allow for a more spacious design, but will end up with the back wall of the house about a third of the way into the master bedroom.

We can't extend in any other direction due to the neighbours garage being less than 6 inches to the east of ours, and a garden retaining wall about 1m north of the garage. The kitchen and lounge have both been renovated shortly before we purchased the property and are lovely so we don't want to change that side of the house.

We're moving the master bedroom to the back of the house as it's more peaceful and has better view of the well-established beautiful garden. However, the front of the house has (quite) good views over the hills so if you can think of a plan involving the front of the house, I'd love to hear it.

The current floor plan is:

OPTION A

Pros:

• Lots of floor space, giving a spacious feel.
  • Allows an extra 10cm of space for communal bathroom (1.8m wide instead of 1.7m)

Cons:

• The supporting wall juts into the room by over 1m after wardrobes. Unavoidable but also very noticeable and potentially unattractive in this design.

OPTION B

Pros:

• His and hers walk-in wardrobes (my wife particularly likes this).
  • Structural wall is "hidden"
  • Direct view of garden from corner window
  • About 30cm more wardrobe space
  • I like the the corner window

Cons:

• Might feel narrower/smaller
  • My wife doesn't like the corner window as she feels it's a bit of an odd shape.

Of course, if you can think of another design, I'd be pleased to hear your suggestions.

Option A: Straight wardrobes, more floor space
Option B: Walk in wardrobes, view of the garden

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.