tom_kelland22

Advice and costing for small rear extension

Tom
last modified: 2 months ago

Hi, I'm a first time poster here and also a first time buyer.

I've seen a number of potential garden flats and houses in South London in recent weeks and saw this particular property yesterday. I think that it needs some work but, in particular, I would want to put a small rear extension on the back. I have seen similar properties in the area with such an extension and it really does seem to add a good extra space as a kitchen / reception room. Planning permission should be fine and I think I would be able to extend out by c.3m which would add c.11sqm of space. I've included photos and a floor plan below.

I appreciate that this is in London and so prices are naturally higher for builders/materials. Some websites suggest a cost of £1,500 - £2,000 per sq m for the foundations and shell, plus the additional cost of flooring, electrics, glazing and kitchen etc.

This makes me think that an extension should be possible for £40k - £50k but I may be way off and any guidance would be much appreciated! Would builders provide high level estimates without viewing a property in person? I'm not sure they would but this situation cannot be uncommon i.e. wanting to understand costs of extending a property before it's purchased.