tom_kelland22

Advice and costing for small rear extension

Tom
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I'm a first time poster here and also a first time buyer.

I've seen a number of potential garden flats and houses in South London in recent weeks and saw this particular property yesterday. I think that it needs some work but, in particular, I would want to put a small rear extension on the back. I have seen similar properties in the area with such an extension and it really does seem to add a good extra space as a kitchen / reception room. Planning permission should be fine and I think I would be able to extend out by c.3m which would add c.11sqm of space. I've included photos and a floor plan below.

I appreciate that this is in London and so prices are naturally higher for builders/materials. Some websites suggest a cost of £1,500 - £2,000 per sq m for the foundations and shell, plus the additional cost of flooring, electrics, glazing and kitchen etc.

This makes me think that an extension should be possible for £40k - £50k but I may be way off and any guidance would be much appreciated! Would builders provide high level estimates without viewing a property in person? I'm not sure they would but this situation cannot be uncommon i.e. wanting to understand costs of extending a property before it's purchased.

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.