webuser_262643930

‘Off white render’?!? With stone?

HU-262643930
3 years ago

House before

We are half way through a renovation of a 1950s/60s house. The outside has always been my biggest issue as the brick isn’t very nice so I knew we would always want to render. However I like houses with a bit of character and felt all over render would look too plain. To try and add some character and texture when we have built the new extensions (one over the garage and one at the back) we did them out of sandstone, and the plan is to rip the brick chimney down and build it back up chunky and more modern looking with stone. See current state of house below.

The dilemma is when it comes to the render colour for the main body of the house. I think we have now settled on Agate Grey for the windows. I want a sort of modern farmhouse style look, but I can’t seem to find any good examples of houses where they’ve mixed stone and render (maybe it isn’t a done thing but too late now 🙈). I want the house to feel fresh and modern which is why I initially thought a white render, but I’m unsure if that will be too stark a contrast with the stone? I think white would match the window colour nicely but am not sure I want a really bright white. However whenever I look at off white renders they seem very creamy and I’m concerned that will make the house look more old fashioned? Also there seems to be so many ‘off whites’ I don’t know where to start! Any thoughts very much appreciated! Especially if anyone has a picture of a house where they have done a render and stone combination? Or any suggestions on good render colours!

Stone extension with 3 feature windows

Stone extension over garage

Close up on stone

Close up of stone

Proposed window colour agate grey

Stone against a white piece of paper (no idea why I did this I read it might help you identify the undertones...)

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.