downstairs bathroom - what’s missing?

Kmac O
14 days ago

Is it tiles? A feature wall? Any ideas?

• Carolina
    14 days ago

Tiles or wallpaper. Or panelling? It lacks texture/pattern/interest. An easy way to 'funky' it up a bit is to draw a horizontal line all along the walls and paint the top part a different colour than the bottom part. You could add a trim piece on the border between the colours, but you could leave it just a painted line too. I think the first example has tiles on the bottom part, but if you don't look too closely it looks like it's paint.

Top Answer
  • peggysue67
    14 days ago

It looks perfectly smart and pleasant but just lacks any real interest. Personally I don’t think the mirror or the pictures go. It may be worth considering a round mirror above the basin perhaps one of those that hang from a leather strap to add interest? Matalan does a cheap one. To get more WoW factor I would also paint all the walls are darker. I don’t think you would need pictures then. Last thing is I would get a nice hand towel but hang it from the bars in the middle of the radiator rather than the top so it looks neater!

• peggysue67
    14 days ago

Oh and take off one or two of your spare toilet rolls as they are a bit overpowering in such a high tower!

• E D
    14 days ago

A bath?

😄

• Kmac O
    14 days ago

Thank you for the comments. Would you advise painting all the walls a darker colour or just one? The slanted roof is an awkward shape. I never noticed the toilet rolls look like a tower 😂

• 1sandyh
    14 days ago

It’s missing colour

• Sonia
    14 days ago

You haven’t got a splashback behind the sink, so this could be the opportunity to add some colour. You could tile just up to the mirror behind the sink, or make more of a statement with tiling up that wall to the top. If tiling is over your budget, you could do the same thing with a colour in washable paint, that is paint the sink wall from top to bottom. I must say I do like Carolina’s idea and looks very achievable. Here’s some ideas, one a little OTT but why not! 😊😊

• 1986
    14 days ago

Sonia - do you know the make/name of wallpaper on the last photo you posted? Love it! (& sorry to interuppt the thread)

• Sonia
    14 days ago

Sorry no 1986, just a picture I downloaded from Pinterest!

• 1986
    14 days ago

ok thank you anyway!

• peggysue67
    14 days ago

I would paint all the walls darker as I’m not keen on one feature wall and a big contrast with other walls. You could even paint the sloping ceiling the same. The colour would depend on the rest of your house and your personal style. If you have any extra budget I would change the tap to something more modern.

• Carolina
    13 days ago

Just came across this image, reminded me of your cloakroom:

Watford Family Home · More Info

• David Crossman
    10 days ago

Maybe paint the ceiling in a darker colour. Why do ceilings have to be white or pastel shades?

This would "bring" the ceiling down and make the room seem bigger.

• jenson111
    10 days ago

Wallpaper all walls

• lindacbdb
    10 days ago

A small point, buy matching accessories for the soap and hand cream etc.

• Marie Green
    10 days ago

I have a very similar problem in my small cloakroom.
    I was thinking round mirror on chain, dark grey behind the loo and a tiled splashback ... possibly Metro with grey grout but may go for something funkier now I’ve seen these ideas 😀 Love the last post with the metallic hexagons.
    Not sure how much of the splash back to tile 1,2 or 3 walls?

• Natalie I
    10 days ago

As a quick fix for now, how about a brightly coloured hand towel until you decide which of the great ideas posted you implement??

• jennyd_freaney
    9 days ago

i think some colour will make a big difference. Something bold and on the dark side on all walls.

• Louise Newbold
    9 days ago

We have a small clock room that was a bland magnolia before so brightened it with some colour (awaiting an ochre coloured hand towel to finish it off). Colour makes all the difference & not too expensive a solution! Good luck 😀

• Victoria Lalley
    8 days ago

Sorry to interrupt, 1986 I believe the wallpaper is Nina Campbell’s Perroquet wallpaper.

It’s a lovely little room, I do love the panelled look too. Just for some texture ❤️❤️

• Alyson Jones
    8 days ago

I think small toilets are the perfect space to express yourself and go bold. This is what we did with our small under stairs toilet and it’s very cozy

• PDM
    7 days ago

Agree with the others, you need a darker colour on the walls and I think the picture above your loo is too small. I think many people think small rooms should only have small accessories but I think a bigger print will balance it out better. Also I personally don’t like toilet paper displayed like that. Having a basket next to the loo with your spares and a roll on the wall for me is more appealing.

• ali270
    7 days ago

Lots of super suggestions that I can’t add too but feel I need to say that toilet rolls are never a display feature .

Identity Papers
    7 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I'm often asked by clients to design wallpaper for their loo. It's a place where many feel they can be more adventurous with their choices. Here's one that I designed with many family photos repeated to fill all the walls, but often it is a feature wall that is required. I believe this client went on to install a glass splash-back above the basin to keep the wallpaper visible but protected.

Bespoke Photographic Cloakroom Wallpaper · More Info

See more from Identity Papers

• bambibear
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

I went with the fresh seaside look. I painted the biggest wall (opposite the door) with a textured blue suede paint, it's basically sand in paint. The rest is magnolia. I really thought it through though as I'm conscious if I ever wanted it smooth I'd either have to plaster or sand back thoroughly. I got some really cheap accessories from the range and matched the hand towels with a dark blue. It's been over 8 years and friends all still love it. My ensuite is painted in a neutral mocha shade but I stirred in a sachet of silver glitter, it's not enough to alter the texture so can be just painted over when I'm bored with it, but it adds a lovely dimension when the light shines on it.

If you decide to keep your mirror, I personally think it looks really "glam" so would work around it. A dark blue on that wall only would make it look more intense and like you'd put some effort in, but the pic doesn't work with it as you have a "glam" mirror and a "homely, seasidy" picture. 2 completely different styles. I'd pick one and feature around it.

Agree that toilet rolls should never be on display, mine are in a basket with lid on. I would also buy some mosaic sheet tiles as a splashback as they're so easy to cut to size and fix in place and not only add an instant impact, but protect whatever you do to the wall above the sink. Plain white textured would never date as they'd match the ceramic toilet and sink so wouldn't matter how many times you changed wall colours.

• Heidi Lumb
    7 days ago

Go for a really bold wallpaper....its the best way to liven up any room! We had a horrid little cloakroom and recently paneled half way up and added a cheap but stunning embossed Rasch parrot wallpaper - it always results in a 'wow' every time we open the door!

• denise7125
    6 days ago

I went for a seaside look in my small cloakroom. Before, it was just bland magnolia walls and the standard pedestal toilet and mini sink...I think it’s an improvement 😀

• Richard L
    4 days ago

Whats missing - the bath?

JAMEITE Hand-painted Silk Wallpaper Co., LTD
    3 days ago

Silver foil background and fish design,