museduc7

Advice on exterior design of our New England cape cod style home

museduc7
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Please help! We are planning to do fiber cement siding with possible plank/shingles/vertical siding/batton board combination (currently have combination wood clapboard on front facade, vertical siding inside porch, cedar shingles on three sides) new roof (we ordered a white door with 6 pane single arch windows and long ribbed panels and carriage house hinges and handles... is that a mistake???) and new lighting. (and a sprinkler system!) Putting all of the elements, the colors, and the textures together is overwhelming and has us feeling paralyzed! We would greatly appreciate your expert advice on this project, and any other thoughts on improving our home's appearance.

Comments (5)

• E D
    3 years ago

Lovely house in a lovely setting.

Sorry, for not being useful, I probably wouldn’t change a thing. 😊

museduc7 thanked E D
  • Ellie
    3 years ago

What a stunning house. I don't know why you are changing the look of it. Fair enough if there is water coming in the roof, bits falling off and it's repair jobs, ..... but please don't change just for the sake of it as quite often folk do....

museduc7 thanked Ellie
  • obobble
    3 years ago

You’ve posted on the U.K. site. You might get more informed comment on the US site as some of the materials you’ve mentioned are not common here in the U.K.

museduc7 thanked obobble
  • museduc7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! I should add... the photo doesn’t show it, but the roof is past its time with curling shingles and moisture seeping under, especially bad on the full dormer at the back of the house, The wood siding and shingles are a little beat up, but it’s the cost of painting every few years that has us looking to fiber cement siding. The back and sides of the house are currently a blue gray wood shingle.

• museduc7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh! Oops! Thank you, obobble!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.