lucygoodman

Interior Designer needed

Lucy Goodman
3 years ago

I first went to FIND PROFESSIONALS but everyone there are big project companies. I'm looking for someone to do some consultation on an hourly rate at first to see if it works out. A bit of hand holding/confidence giving and expertise is what's needed in bringing together the various ideas I have(some of them a little bonkers by most peoples standards) so that they work and don't look like a messy car crash!!! I'm trying to achieve quite a bold fun contemporary design. We're already there with the basic bare bones of it - dinesen floor, white walls - quite pared back but then bolts of colour ie we have a sunny yellow staircase (floors, ceiling and walls) with a yellow neon word light going in at the top of it. Now beginning to look at finishes - splashback etc, and furnishings, lighting. I'm in West London do not want to do this online only. The house is empty so can be looked at in a safe way but pictures don't really capture the light and feel of it so would rather someone local-ish who can come and have a look. Would I'd ideally like is to find someone who a fair bit of contemporary look before. Timing: asap!

Comments (19)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

Can only comment on the splashback. You should be able to get one done locally in glass so you could have a bright colour. Alternatively I’ve previously looked at this website:

https://www.premierrange.co.uk/glass-splashbacks?utm_term=splashback&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInovD4cPA6gIVCRdgCh37HANdEAAYBCAAEgK33fD_BwE

They have some wonderful choices.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

There’s a designer I’ve worked with before who’s fab at this sort of thing - she works out of West London and Switzerland - I’m not sure where she is currently ... she has a Houzz profile - ASVInteriors - look her up and hopefully she can help ?

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much. I’ll look her up right now :-)

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you re splash back. In the midst of thinking very plain white so as not to detract from curvy cupboards but a pop of colour from bespoke coloured quooker tap . Although a bit concerned about chipping and cost! Will click through to your link - thank you.

• PRO
    Auburn Furnishings
    3 years ago

Hi we would be happy to help!

• Ellie
    3 years ago

I don't think you need to hire anybody for guidance as you are pretty much there and seem to know exactly what you want.

Splashback, I'd do simply glass.

• PRO
    Nicky Percival Limited
    3 years ago

Hello Lucy - kitchens are my favourite spaces - happy to help if needed.

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Ellie, but the kitchen is just one room - I've 4 bathrooms, a guest bedroom and sitting room to do! I've collated ideas, mood boards, pinterest folders but I'm a perfectionist which is annoying as I end up being terrified of making a mistake/getting it wrong and then completely freeze on making decisions out of sheer fear! Doh! I work in the creative space but making TV shows, not designing interiors so just feel a little under confident in doing something so bold. eek!

• 1sandyh
    3 years ago

You look like you already are an interior designer! You clearly have an eye for design. Just believe in yourself

Lucy Goodman thanked 1sandyh
  • PRO
    Poppy Noble Interior Design
    3 years ago

Wish I was local I’d have loved to have advised but I’m based in Leeds. As others have said looks like you’ve got a great eye. But I can also understand wanting some professional help! If you want to get it right that’s what we’re here for.
    I can work remotely but understand that’s not what you’re looking for.
    Good Luck it’ll look amazing already!

Kind Regards
    Poppy

Lucy Goodman thanked Poppy Noble Interior Design
  • Bianca
    3 years ago

I used a designer on here, Rebecca James Studio, for my bathroom and to build a new roof terrace. I still love everything 12 years on. She is great with colour and creative ideas. They are SW London so not far. I know they do an Interior Styling service too, rather than always the full build. Happy to send you pics of my project but maybe her other work is more relevant.

Lucy Goodman thanked Bianca
  • Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gosh, just tapped back in to find more answers. Thank you for lovely comments. 1sandyh Thank you. I do have ideas and I have a very clear idea about how I want the house to 'feel'. When I write or create shows, I use the same instinct. I go to the 'what do I want it to 'feel' like?' place. But then I find a team who are brilliant in their skill areas to translate that 'feel' into tangible production stuff - be it costume or set design, character design etc. They just take that idea and expand it in ways I couldn't. This isn't the same but there seem to be parallels here. I've never done anything like this before - so just finding someone who can really get under the skin and understand what I'm trying to do but with the experience and know how as to how to physically translate that. Someone who knows and can reassure as when to push bolder and when there's a danger of going to far and to pull back a bit - I think that's what I'm after. So yup I kinda have lots of the ideas in place but lots of sticky bits that I'm stuck on! But do I know my lack confidence sometimes gets in the way so thank you for your kind words. Poppy Noble Interior Design - thank you. I might give you a ring although I really would rather someone was able to be on the ground as pictures just never quite tell the whole story. Bianca, I'll look up Rebecca James Studio but yes would love to see pictures. Never quite understand Houzz but I assume there's some sort of way you can DM here. I wish I knew how to describe the style I'm trying to achieve. It's not enough to just stay 'contemporary'. Doh! Thank you all anyway :-)

• HU-830792139
    3 years ago

Hi, looks like a promising project! I'm currently studying interior decoration and I'm keen to start doing some real life work!. If you like, I can take a look, help to put your ideas together and why not, to add some others. If you are interested, feel free to contact me! Of course, free of charge! so it is a win-win :) idieh87@hotmail.com. Haydee

• PRO
    Poppy Noble Interior Design
    3 years ago

Hi Lucy,

Sounds like you’ve got a really interesting job! I can understand where you are coming from. Sometimes we have all these ideas and trying to picture how they’ll come together and work is a bit tricky!

Please feel free to get in touch. My details should be on my profile. If not here is my email address - poppynobleinteriors@gmail.com

Hope you’ve had a lovely weekend.
    Poppy

• PRO
    Nicky Percival Limited
    3 years ago

There have been various dodgy enquiries via Houzz in the past so do be careful about the contact details put out.

• cisaacs28
    3 years ago

Hi Lucy,
    It’s so funny reading your posts, it makes me realise I’m not the only one who researches every detail! My husband was the one who read your posts and said it sounded just like me, Dinesen dilemmas, Lusso bath. I also employed an interior designer on an hourly rate. I didn’t research enough so the fit wasn’t brilliant. It was more of a knee jerk reaction to being overwhelmed by tiles and not knowing how to balance Scandi minimalism with making a design statement. Really it was like interior design counselling, she suggested a decent brand for tapes, ordered some tile samples but ultimately I felt I knew more than her. She did however give me the confidence to just do my thing.

In terms of splash backs if your doing tiles Popham Design do some interesting tiles, Day True is there UK stockists who have several shops in London. Domus New Terracotta is also worth a look. Hope that helps, your not going mad, just breath/or drink!

• pjdklm
    3 years ago

Have a look at Clare Elise Interiors. I think your styles and needs will align very well. I know Clare personally through my local community, as opposed to being a client myself, but I know of people who have used her services and been very happy. She’s Putney/ Wandsworth based and of course is here on Houzz.

• PRO
    A New Day - Interior Design Studio
    3 years ago

Hi Lucy - what a gorgeous choice you've made with the staircase and kitchen. Such a lovely starting point to work from. I'd be very happy to have a chat, from what you've shown here I think it could be a good a match.

@AndrewJonathanDesign / hello@andrewjonathan.design

Andrew

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.