lucygoodman

Has anyone used a template for plumbing a bath before it arrives?

Lucy Goodman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We're doing a massive renovation which has been held up during covid and we're racing to finish but have hit a small snag. The bath we ordered won't actually go into the loft without all sorts of boring rigmarole like pulling out sash windows and expensive hoist things. I don't love the bath enough for that, so am replacing with one that can go up the stairs. However, it can't be here until August and we want to get on with tiling and tadelakt before then so plumbing needs to be positioned for bath. Bath supplier (Lusso Stone who are great btw) say that other people often use the technical drawings, blow up to scale and make a template in order to position the bath before tiling. My builder says he's never done this, won't take responsibility if anything goes wrong and will do but only reluctantly with endless caveats. So I'm rather inclined to find someone else that has done this before to do this part of the job. Has anyone else done this? Can anyone recommend very good London based plumbers who are able to do this? Equally I'm looking for a tiler experienced in doing mosaic tiles.

Comments (3)

• Daisy England
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I can only comment on my thoughts as opposed to experience which is no I wouldn’t template first and add the bath later. To me that’s a bit like tiling the kitchen wall where you’d expect the tiles to sit on the worktop and then fit the units and worktops after. Although sizes are available who knows if anything unforeseen will happen. Level floors, level walls?

I'm with your builder on this. Be patient. The end product is always worth waiting for.

• Rowland
    3 years ago

Hi Lucy,

I think your builder is nervous! you can generally adjust the height of a bath, so technically you should be able to tile the wall and fit the bath later. If it touches two or more walls, the walls will need to be square, which is probably why the builder is nervous.
    unfortunately you will probably be best waiting for the bath to arrive as you should not be saddled with taking the responsibility for your tradesman.

The wall tiling can be done quickly once the bath is in place, the floor tiling can be completed prior to the bath is on site as it can finish past the line of the bath. I like tiling the room completely in a kitchen and bathroom.

best

Rowland

• Lucy Goodman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Rowland. The bath is free standing so, do is the tap, so no wall to attach to and the wall is having tadelakt plaster on it not tiles so it’s only the floor to do. But the tiling needs doing before the tadelakt so waiting for bath pushes everything back. Builder says all his guys going back to Poland in August so if it doesn’t get done now we’d have to wait to September which would be hideous hence the lack of patience on my part! Does the freestanding makes it harder or easier?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.