webuser_515730366

Extension help - Maximising awkward space

Dave S.
3 years ago

Hi All,

I was wondering if we could get some advice on creating more usable space in our house? We're looking to create a home office & guestroom (I'm working from home more now & we've got our second child on the way meaning the spare room for the grandparents to stay over in will soon be gone!). Ideally the guestroom would double up as something else when not being used (playroom, perhaps?) to maximise the benefit we get from it.

We've recently had our garden done so wouldn't want to extend out the back but we've got quite a lot of space to the side of our house (see pics) which is currently wasted - the grass doesnt even grow properly there! We're thinking the best thing to do is to extend into this area to create the extra space. Unfortunately our garage is awkwardly placed so we wouldn't be able to extend the full length of the house but we could get approx. 6m x 3m (single-storey due to budget) I've attached a sketch of our best idea so far.

To complicate things our front door is on the other side of the house to the extension so we would need to consider how the extra rooms are integrated with the existing house. We think the only option is to go through the lounge which isn't ideal but perhaps there is a better way?

Finally, we're not on a huge budget, looking to spend up to £30k for the above, maybe £40k if we could get even more benefit out of the work. We're in the Midlands. Can anyone offer any advice on what extension/layout to go with?

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.