liling_yap

Help! My Areca palm fronds are going yellow

Li Ling Yap
3 years ago

Hi, I purchased an Areca palm from Ikea almost a month ago. I now have 3 small fronds at the bottom of the plant turning yellow and I am concerned that these yellowing fronds are the canaries in the coal mine and would appreciate any tips or advice on what to do or what I am doing wrong?

I repotted the palm a couple of days after purchase in regular potting soil (Biobizz All Mix) which contains perlite, the soil sits on a shallow bed of some gravel (Lechuza PON) for drainage at the bottom of the pot. When repotting, I moved almost all of the soil in the growers pot to minimise any disturbance to the roots and only moved up one pot size. I water it roughly weekly when my moisture meter reads near dry but still moist. I use filtered tap water that has been left to sit for 24 hours. There is drainage at the bottom so does not sit in water. I have not yet fertilised the palm as the potting soil and PON both contain fertilisers.

It is placed in a shaded corner of a south facing floor-to-ceiling window so plenty of indirect sunlight and I shade it with blinds during mid-day when the sun shines in. I occasionally place it on a shaded balcony to expose it to some gentle breeze for a couple of hours in the morning (which I do with all my other plants) and it is currently summer so the weather is never below 15C.

Besides the 3 leaves at the base of the plant, the rest of the palm is green and healthy (for now?). New shoots (not sure what you call the spear like things that are the start of a new frond) are growing and unfurling. The fronds that are yellow started with one, then 2 and now 3 are at the base in different corners of the plant and are fronds with only 2-3 leaflets. I think one more is now starting to go less vibrant green and maybe the 4th yellowing frond at the base. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment (1)

• Sonia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’m no expert, but I would just cut off the yellowing leaves and see how it goes. Lots of plants, indoors or out, can develop yellow lower leaves.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.