bryan_spence

Microcement microconcrete topping durability ?

Bryan Spence
3 years ago

Hi all

im looking to put a microcement down on a new kitchen extension floor - but as it’s only 3-4mm thick I’m worried about damage

has anyone got this down that can feedback on its durability ?

im Thinking dragged chair legs / dropped knives / pots etc, stones on feet.

im only looking this direction because I hate the joint lines of a polished concrete.

Comments (2)

• Rowland
    3 years ago

hi Bryan,

I have some experience of this in a retail setting as it was specified for the concept. whilst it is a durable product, it can still have problems with cracking associated with large areas of floor covering. It will wear and have traffic marks over time but is quite strong provided their is no movement in the substrate. if your new extension has a floor with a layer of insulation beneath, unless it has had a long period of time to dry it will carry some moisture , which may affect the micro-top installation.
    concrete floors are laid in bays to allow for expansion and contraction of the slab, if you installed UFH you will also have this to add to the general mix with the heating cycle adding to the risks of movement. I would look at having movement joints in the covering rather than risk having random cracks open up over time. The general wear shouldn't be a problem. the system is for industrial floors to provide a tough layer, so you should be ok with dropped utensils.

No installer will guarantee that you wont get cracking over time!

best

Rowland

• R B
    3 years ago

Bryan,

As an alternative you could consider a resin floor or a resin/cement mix. As I understand it these are more flexible and are much less prone to cracking.

RB

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.