alfie_boden

Suggestions to update the exterior of 60's house. Cladding windows etc

Alfie Boden
3 years ago

We've done a good amount of work to the interior of house and we'd now like to update the exterior a bit.

We haven't got a huge budget but would really like some suggestion of how to update it and make it a bit less drab looking.

Initial thoughts are grey framed windows as they need replacing anyway and then maybe replace the slate cladding with wood or composite that looks like wood?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (5)

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks like a good '60s house.

I'm sure others here will come with suggestions on the exterior but I would say, give the front area some consideration.

Make it look more like a front garden (as opposed to just a drive) with lots of well planned planting.

It's great you have a mature tree already.

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I’m a lover of grey frames. Many opt for cedar wood cladding which is fine when it goes on but given time goes shabby (or as some may say rustic 😆).

• Katie Duke
    3 years ago

I agree with ED - looks like a nice house and I don't find the windows or cladding unattractive. Like ED suggests though there appears to be an awful lot of hard surface and softening that with some really nice planting would make a big (and appealing) change from the kerb. If you don't need all that hardstanding for parking I would def think about removing some from left hand side and bringing a more garden-y vibe.

• Artistic Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Alfie,

A few suggestions that might help if you want a modern look to your home.

• Extend the current cladding to underneath the first floor window - this will create a nice line all the way from the ground to the pitch of your roof. Then stain all the cladding to match a deep wood color
    • Change the windows at the fron of your house - may I suggest a black frame (here's a link with some examples - https://mariakillam.com/black-windows/). What this will do will balance the horizontal and verticle lines of the front of the house because of the grid like pattern of them, which is currently unaestethically pleasing. Also the white of the window frames do not go well with the cladding & brick colors.
    • Paint your bricks a dark charcoal color.
    • Paint your garage door black.
    • Paint your front door black or install a larger front door package that is more modern and maybe incorporates the kind of windows you will have at the fron of your house like mentioned above.
    • As has already been mentioned, the landscaping needs to be extended up to your home (the mature tree is wonderful). Right now the front of your home looks like a concrete jungle. You can soften this with scrubbery and possibly allowing a virginia creeper to climb up your home (this is a non-evasive climber that will not hurt your brickwork or structrual integrity of your home).

All of these suggestions combined will transform the look of your home, give you an exterior to be proud of, and possibly give you the best looking house on your street. Of course, if modern is not what you are going for, this won't work, but may give you some ideas to jump off from.

Best wishes & good luck!

• Alfie Boden
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all, really good input. I think the suggestion to get some more plants outside the front of the house is a good one. We need to do our windows anyway so I'll think we'll go with grey on the outside and then see how things look!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.