adam_edwards50

Crumbling Plaster best course of action?

Adam Edwards
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We're having our bedroom redone. We've replaced a tried old uPVC window that had condensation and was leaking. Now we would like to get the walls plastered but the old plaster around the window is crumbling. We are in the process of getting quotes but because I'm not familiar with the repair techniques I'm not sure what the best solution to go with.

Does it have to be brought back to the brick?

We also would like to hang blinds at one point but not drill into the uPVC as this may void the warranty of our new windows.

Top of window

Bottom of window

Comments (2)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

It depends how unstable it is. I think most plasterers will dig out the loose bits, add PVA before plastering to get a good told, then plaster over. Another Houzzer called Tani H-S had a similar dilemma on her stairs. If you search her name or plastering dilemma under Advice you can see what her plasterer did. A good plasterer will soon sort it out for you.

• Rowland
    3 years ago

hi Adam,

looking at your photos it would appear that the window company fitted the windows on the old timber bearers that were set for the old windows.
    this is not great as they could rot of water get under the new windows.

I think you need to remove the cover pieces that are around the edge of the window. this will probably dislodge the loose plaster around the head and side of the window. this will allow the new plaster to be carried out and give you a better result. the architrave can be then fixed to the sides on the window in either a plastic finish or a timber finish in keeping with the age of the property.

the plasterer will probably use a hard wall plaster and finish with a skim of finishing plaster.

hope this helps!

best

Rowland

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.