fabien_cardineau51

where to position the baby grand piano

Fabien Cardineau
3 years ago

we have a family heirloom piano. we just redone our downstairs and have yet to decide how to furnish it.

ideally we would like 2 spaces. but we are not sure how to position the piano. any advice?

piano stays in the main room
piano in bay window
other

Comments (10)

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Your piano looks to have lovely burr walnut veneer.

I'm a bit confused by the dimensions. Is it smaller than a 'normal' Baby Grand? For instance, are the keys smaller than those on a normal piano?

We used to have a baby Grand so I know their general size, but, unless it's an optical illusion in your photos, yours seems extra small.

• PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Original Author
    3 years ago

it is tuck in the corner, so it is the optic

• PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Original Author
    3 years ago

it is from.1850

• E D
    3 years ago

Ah ok. Nice. You do have a generous space then.

Out of interest, do you know the maker?

• PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chapel London

• PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Original Author
    3 years ago

not very valuable unfortunately

• PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Original Author
    3 years ago

more sentimental than anything

• PRO
    i-architect
    3 years ago

It's such a sweet piano! I rescued a grand piano for my dad from a project I was working on where they had 3 grands and we were reconfiguring to get rid of one large upper hall, so they had no space for the third and nobody wanted it! We had to lift it down from the upper hall with a cherry picker as the walls were demolished around it - no idea how they got it up there in the first place as the stairs were incredibly narrow. Now it's safe and sound in my parents bay window.

Anyway I would vote for having it in the bay - because grand pianos, big and small fit really well into a bay. It looks kind of lost tucked in the corner. So if you enjoy playing it then it looks like having it in the bay would be a nice place to sit and practice your scales!

Having said that it depends what other furniture you plan to put in there and how you will be using that space. I imagine you'll have a sofa or two in there and maybe a TV? Would be easier to decide based on floorplans because it's hard to get a feel for scale from the photos.

• E D
    3 years ago

Agree, a floorplan would help.

Generally it’s best not to shove it against a wall or too far in a corner.

Yours may well look good where it is but taken away from the walls so there’s plenty of space around it.

I would also consider a different piano seat. Although this is a quite good looking duet stool in itself, it doesn’t seem in balance with the piano. It’s too prominent.

• KXD
    3 years ago

I agree with I-architect. The right place to put it would be in the bay window. This would make it look like it is sitting in its own alcove and out of the way. Anywhere else would make it look awkward in my opinion.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.