kjas11

To extend or not to extend…? Advice and inspiration please.

kjas11
3 years ago

Our architect came up with a plan for an extension we love but absolutely can’t afford and now we don’t know what to do. Our grand design dream has turned into a miserable disappointment, we are frightened of the potential for spiralling costs and we desperately need help.

We (me, hubby, 3 teenagers and 3 border collies) live in a 1970s bungalow at the end of a small estate. We have about 0.5 acre of garden, a gate that leads out to woods and lovely views. The house is not so great, the décor is tired and not much has been done. I have put some photos and existing plan below.

It was built as a 3 bed but we have blocked up an arch in an L shaped living room to make our bedroom (the one without a label on the plan) so the kids can have a room each now they are teenagers. This has left us with a small living room (which actually works much better than we expected) and our dining room is in a sort of flat roof extension that is falling apart, as is the original 1970s kitchen.

We commissioned an architect to come up with an extension and, after a disappointing start, we got a plan we loved – new bedroom for us with an ensuite, a utility/dog room, reclaimed the old lounge and a fabulous open plan living/kitchen/diner. Then the Quantity Surveyor said it would be 3 times the budget we gave the architect! A builder has come back lower but not by much. We have a total budget of £100k.

So what do we do? …

Try to make the best of what we have got – replace the current extension on the existing footprint, replace the kitchen and bathroom/separate loo and redecorate / re-floor everywhere?

Or

have a small extension and try to achieve a bit more of the dream (we desperately need a second loo!)? Is that just a pipe dream given the budget?

What would you lovely Houzzers do?

Comments (14)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.