hayley_norris7

Cracks - Party wall at the top of the stairs

hayley_norris7
3 years ago

Hi there

I’m in a Victorian Terrace House (1890). We are on a hill. I’ve had the whole property for a year (two flats). Brought the downstairs 12 years ago. And the freehold and upstairs flat a year ago. It doesn’t look like it’s been repaired previously.

Today when I went upstairs I noticed these cracks looked worse. On the top part of the cracks, the wall on either side are no long flush. One side is slightly set back. We are talking maybe 1-2mm difference. This is only at the top. The cracks in size are 2-3mm at the worst and are only at the top of the stairs - looking under the stairs directly below, it looks ok. I pulled back a little of the plaster, it’s not any wider beneath. I put a skewer in the see the depth and in this part of the crack it went in all the way - 12inches. But other parts it didn’t. I don’t how terraces are formed together but I imagine some of this was the cavity wall. The crack isn’t one single crack top to bottom, which is why I am calling them cracks.

The next door neighbours have been in for a few months and the vibrations from the banging that they make is extreme (but it is the kids making the banging and vibrations, often running up and down the stairs constantly - we are in lockdown!). We are halls adjoining so their staircase is on the other side of this wall.

Could this be the cause? Or something a lot more serious?

Any thoughts or further questions, do let me know?

Photos attached.

Many thanks,
Hayley

Comments (2)

• sarh123
    3 years ago

Did you have a survey when you purchased the second flat? If so I assume you’ve been back to the survey to see if they were mentioned?

• T Gray
    3 years ago

You need to get a structural surveyor in to look at this as soon as possible.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.