poppybrighton

Frog tape peeling off paint

poppybrighton
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello

I am losing my mind here. I am joining two different colours and have painted 2 coats (now 4 coats...) of grey Little Greene with an overlap where I want to put the neighbouring colour of blue. 2 weeks after painting the grey I masked the join using Frog tape, painted the blue, removed tape immediately and voila all my grey paint peeled away leaving bare plaster exposed. I sanded it all back and gave it another 2 coats, used the Frog tape again but this time used a hair dryer to soften the tape glue but again it PEELED OFF THE PAINT.

I have been without a living room for 6 months now and this is the last job before we can move into it. Does anyone please know a way to join 2 colours of paint without tape?

Thanks! 😢

Comments (9)

• Rowland
    3 years ago

hi

I am looking at the photo you have provided and note that you have a substrate below the paint that may not be inadequately prepared for your paint to be applied. If you can advise on the previous wall covering prior to applying the colour that has peeled.

it may be that you had a papered surface that has been stripped but not washed adequately to remove residual paste from the wall, or you had a painted surface with an oil bound distemper paint that hasnt been removed prior to painting.

The frog tape that you used should be a low tack tape that is suitable for applying to painted surfaces and you must not allow the tape to remain for longer than advised as the adhesion will increase even with low tack tapes.

it is frustrating to have to do this painting once agai but if you ensure that the points above are carried out hopefully you will not have the problem occur again.

I hope that your next attempt will be sucessful.

best

Rowland

• poppybrighton
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Rowland, thank you for the comment. The walls were newly plastered so the only thing on them is a white emulsion misting coat and the paint I have applied. The walls were plastered back in February. I wondered if the problem was that the plaster was too smooth.

• Rowland
    3 years ago

hi Poppy,

I think you may have used a vinyl mist coat to the freshly painted walls. if you paint soon after plastering a non vinyl paint should be used that allows the plaster to dry properly. Did you use an obliterating paint which would have allowed the wall to dry or a vinyl, or straight mat paint.

it is possible that this may be the problem. some people coat walls with a pva glue thinking that this is good prior to painting and this can also cause problems with subsequent decoration. I hate to advise this but you will probably need to rub down the paint with a 120 grade sandpaper to provide a key and start the painting process again. Water down the first coat as advised in the instructions. if using a trade paint this should be done as a matter of course.

you will get a qood finish once you remove or key the surface and redecorate. when taping the lines use a low tack tape and remove it as soon as possible after the drying time. you may well have to remove and add tape again if you dont have the time to meet the required time for use in the low tack tape..

l hope that this covers what may have been the cause of the problem.

best

Rowland

• poppybrighton
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Rowland, this is the matt emulsion that I used, I don't think it is vinyl. https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-contract-matt-emulsion-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/33680

The edge that I am painting has a metal beading for the plastering work. I wonder if the issue is around the paint adhering to that...

• Rowland
    3 years ago

the metal bead could be part of the problem, but the picture didnt highlight the bead.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Hi, is the blue bit just that strip? Why not paint the whole lot in one colour, if it’s one room, unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do 😊

• poppybrighton
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Sonia, no its a whole wall, thats just the cutting in strip.

For anyone who has this same problem in the future - I have managed to work around it by sanding back the peeled paint and going over it again and then using a paint pad to freehand a straight line. I can follow the line of the wall so its decent (but possibly not as good as it would've been with tape). I also bought Frog tape delicate last night and it peeled off the paint as well. My conclusion is that Frog tape doesn't work with a combination of flat matt emulsion and recently plastered walls.

This is the paint pad I used:

https://www.diy.com/departments/harris-icon-small-paint-pad/978611_BQ.prd

And my lesson learnt is that I will never paint a room more than 1 colour!

• dancinbean
    3 years ago

I have this problem too! So frustrating! Brand new plastered walls, mist coated 50/50 with dulux emulsion and then painted with two coats of valspar bathroom paint. The frog tape was on for a matter of minutes to create a good sealent line and took off a good 70% of the paint with it. I'm quite concerned about the risk of ignoring an underlying problem, especially in a bathroom. I was thinking I'd sand/feather the edges and repaint and then leave well alone. And then probably avoid valspar paint in future

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.