raluca_efford

Advice for mould dots on new Western red cedar garden fence

Raluca Efford
3 years ago

We have had a new Western red cedar slatted fence installed 6 months ago, it's double sided (so that it looks the same from inside the garden and from the outside. when finished, it was oiled by the garden contractor with a clear oil. A few weeks ago we noticed that the outer side of the fence is covered in tons of black mould dots, and also its colour is fading on that side. Not sure why the same is not happening on the other side of the fence.

Does anyone know how to clean off the mould without damaging the wood or fading its colour? Also, what product should we use to prevent mould returning and to maintain the wood's initial vibrant colour? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (6)

• Toria J
    3 years ago

Have you resolved this?
    Do you know which oil he used?
    I use Texnap22 to preserve the colour golden brown colour on my cedar shingles, but fencing is probably different. A friend swears by an Osmo product, but you'll need to know what he used first as some products don't play well together.

• Raluca Efford
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ Toria J - thank you, not resolved it, and not sure what he used. I've heard Osmo is really good, I will try it.

• Raluca Efford
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ Sonia - thank you, I live in a village so I don't think it's pollution to be honest.

• Toria J
    3 years ago

My instinct would be that it may have needed a proper treatment before now. I'm surprised that maintenance wasn't mentioned, though many people like the greying.

Bleaching does depend on exposure and the direction the fence faces - usually south. Mould/green growth usually occurs on the northerly side, so it's weird that you have both on one side.

Are you sure it's mould? Could it be tannins coming to the surface?

I would try a decking cleaner or even cheap soda crystals on a small patch. If that works, do the whole thing. You will need to oil/preserve it soon after, but not within 48 hours.

You could try something else with a fungicide in like Barrettine wood preserver.

• francessco
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Raluca Efford I'm experiencing the same problem with my cedar fence. Black spots appearied few months after installation. The wood was treat with Textrol.Wondering if you managed to resolve it and how.

Many Thanks

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.