bryan_spence

Crittall style steel glass wall or triple sliders

Bryan Spence
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all!

design dilemma here

ive a modern box extension going on and I cannot decide between a crittall style steel glass wall or a simple triple slider system from cortizo corvision plus

the house is old Victorian 1894 - wooden sash everywhere else. interior is exposed brick / traditional and industrial look.

the extension is modern industrial / perforated Corten cladding / concrete / steel / brick

two caveata of the steel glass are the price and the waiting time - costs about 10k more and takes 16 weeks instead of 6 to arrive.

i can pay a bit more to a different fabricator to have it in 8 weeks- but then you are looking 15k more !

thoughts on both styles ?

thank you :)

I also included some rough renders I did

here is the triple slider / corvision plus sliders

here is the crittall style steel idea

here is the house !

and here are a couple rough renders

Crittall steel glass
Sliding aluminium

Comments (13)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

I love the crittal style but do think it really only works with the type of kitchen in the photo 4 above. I dont think they look as good with a modern/sleek/handleless/mimimalist kitchen and if you were having one like that the slider is best.

Bryan Spence thanked Ellie
  • Bryan Spence
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes it won’t be country cottage style / more bulthaup kind of vibe- but I do still plan on steel / brick / industrial so I do think it still works in the space

another example render from The interior there

• Rowland
    3 years ago

I think the modern slider with the clean lines is the right aesthetic for the style if your extension.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Sliders all the way. My sister has had them installed in her kitchen - 3 panes filling the whole of the back of the house and it looks amazing. She has gone for a very modern country look so clean lines, shaker doors, very light and airy. Here’s a view with one door slid open, please excuse the garden as that’s next on the list once lockdown over!

• Bryan Spence
    Original Author
    3 years ago

looks great sonia - although, the crittall style would actually be perfect for that kitchen too!

• PRO
    Kay Moden
    3 years ago

Hi,

Have to agree with @minnie101. Crittall is a great looking product but the sliders work better your external cladd.

Andrei

• Bryan Spence
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeh I think the sliders too personally - trying to crowbar the crittall in somewhere currently - maybe ill go for an internal screen through to the new extension..

• E D
    3 years ago

I do like your last render with the crittall. Looks to complement the kitchen very well.

But your idea to have Crittall elsewhere in the house (with sliders to the garden) sounds good too.

Is crittall as well insulated as sliding doors?

• Charlotte C
    3 years ago

I saw the title and thought 'Crittal of course!', but now that I've seen the renders I think the sliders look better

• Bryan Spence
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hi Ed,

the crittall steel windows aren’t anywhere near as well insulated no.

the w20 profile has no thermal break, but it does have double glazing

im leaning toward the sliders currently..

now it’s double or triple slider is the question ???

• Ellie
    3 years ago

How wide opening is it? I prefer 2 pane, but we only have a 3.5 m opening

• Bryan Spence
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Ellie , the opening is 5.4m

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.