webuser_330916708

Crack in brickwork

HU-330916708
3 years ago

There is a crack going all the way from the floor towards the top of my exterior wall. It may be something to do with the surface underneath not being even or an issue with the drainage. Does anyone know which type of contracter would sort this issue? A building firm gave me a quote of 650 to put metalwork between the bricks and dig underneath the area to see if more cement is needed (and it will cost more if this is the case). However I was overcharged by around 50% for recent work by them and they can add on more if cement is needed and so I am trying to go directly to an independent contracter if that is possible.

Comments (10)

• T Gray
    3 years ago

It is not a huge crack but any new movement in a house really should be looked at by a structural surveyor before you get any builders in. At least you will have peace of mind that it is nothing.

HU-330916708 thanked T Gray
  • HU-330916708
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, I will get it looked at by a structural surveyor. Do you know the profession that can fix it if there is an issue? Will it just be a general builder?

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I agree with arc3d. It could well be a failure of the drain near that corner that has caused the problem (that being said the close up picture doesn’t show what else is around such as trees).
    If anyone recommends immediate work on the brickwork they are praying on homeowner fears- the plan should be for watchful waiting unless you already know the movement was historical and hasn’t moved further for at least a year.
    I had no idea crack guages were so cheap so installing one to see if there is movement over the next year seems a no brainer.

HU-330916708 thanked Jonathan
  • HU-330916708
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Excellent advice, thank you all!

• Rowland
    3 years ago

can you check and see whether the crack goes below the DPC line. it may be caused by expansion and this would show with the brick crack starting at this point. If it does start at this point then problem may be less significant.

This sort of crack will not weaken the structure of the building, repairs are simple to carry out. the cracks can just be sealed with a flexible sealant.

The crack starting point is the key to this being the issue so check this first and you may be able to breath a sigh of relief!!

cracks thatbyou can get a finger into are a problem minor cracks are generally less of a worry, they just need a periodic check to ensure they dont increase!!

best

Rowland

HU-330916708 thanked Rowland
  • HU-330916708
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Many thanks!

• HU-330916708
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• HU-330916708
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like it doesn't go below the DPC line. I had to look up what that was, but it looks like the crack stops at the last two bricks. I have added a couple of other photos of the general pattern of it as it goes up.

• Rowland
    3 years ago

thank you for the closeup photo.

The crack is not due to the drain or settlement as the cracking would be present below the line of the dpc, if this were the case. On balance I would attribute it to unrestrained expansion of clay bricks and thermal movement which has manifested itself with pushing the bricks on the line of the dpc, being 150mm from external ground level. The photo you have provided in close up clearly shows that the brickwork below the level is in tact.
    if you continue to check this visually it should not really increase. You can have the joint raked and repointed, but personally it then may look like you are hiding a major problem. best to leave it and as it is minor indent even think water will pass into the cavity, bit you could put a mastic over the crack to prevent this if you are worried.

I dont think you need a structural engineer, unless you are about to sell the house, which may assist in giving a buyer peace of mind.

hope this helps and stops you worrying unduly about the crack.

best

Rowland

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.