dimitris_mouzourou

Quirky School Renovation Flat - need inspiration to quirk it up!

Dimitris Mouzourou
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey there,I've almost finished renovating my apartment which is in a lovely converted renovated Victorian school.I have 2 large wide glass panels (these were fitted for sound proofing from the upstairs bedrooms).These panels do not open but items can be placed in from the bedrooms.I'm tempted to fill these with plants but I'd love any ideas for something a bit more creative - it's a narrow space. Considering vintage school type things to fit in with the theme of the building but struggling to find anything quite right on eBay/Etsy.Any suggestions / ideas much appreciated. Each panel is around 2 metres wide and on display around 60xm high.Thanks 😊PS: apologies I couldn't attach the images - they are in my next comment on this post

Comments (11)

• Dimitris Mouzourou
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Essex and London Construction ELC
    3 years ago

I agree, plants would thrive in the gap where the glass will create a nice greenhouse effect. Just make sure your plants will get enough oxygen where enclosed. Looking forward to seeing the end design pictures!

Have followed your profile, hoping you share the before and afters!

Tara Taylor
    Project Manager
    Essex and London Construction, Basements, Extensions and Loft Conversions
    tara.taylor@essexandlondonconstruction.com
    www.essexandlondonconstruction.com

Dimitris Mouzourou thanked Essex and London Construction ELC
  • Misha M
    3 years ago

Hi Dimitris. Lovely apartment. Is your place in an old school building in Haggerston perchance?

Dimitris Mouzourou thanked Misha M
  • Dimitris Mouzourou
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Irene Morresey some nice ideas here!

@Essex and London Construction ELC I'll be sure to get some before and after pictures!

Thank you! @Misha M It's in Camberwell! =)

• Misha M
    3 years ago

Ah! Mine is v similar looking flat with windows like yours in a school conversion in Haggerston :-)

• E D
    3 years ago

Great space.

Have you tried having nothing behind the glass panels?

An observation, all your items like furniture, plants etc seem to be pushed back onto the walls. Is there a particular reason for that?

Dancefloor maybe? 😄

• E D
    3 years ago

I’m in the same neck of the woods as you are Misha M, there are quite a few school conversions around here.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

It's a great flat however I'm with E D, I wouldn't draw attention to the bottom of the Windows so would leave bare, it will also help with light levels. I would also try pulling the sofa out, adding a rug and art above the sofa. It's quite hard to find quirky things for people as I think it needs to be something you love rather than quirky for the sake of it but if you want school related items, you could add old maths/science posters or book covers of famous Victorian art (1984 obviously wasn't but you get the idea 😂). You could also add a little more focus on the dining area, just random ideas but there's a maths wallpaper, a Victorian abacus or easel with art on etc. A bit more obvious but i cant see if you have any chairs so you could add old school ones if not, do you have any lights in that area?

i

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I should say I'm not suggesting everything school related btw, just random ideas!

• PRO
    Studio Vonne
    3 years ago

You could go with your original plant idea, but frost the glass and add lighting behind. They could make a nice feature light or abstract art.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.