lilmissykat1__

traditional scottish hotel interior ideas

lilmissykat1 .
3 years ago

looking for ideas to renovate a scottish hotel interior, hotel currently has alot of red (walls,carpet and roof) so looking for colours to brighten te place but keep it tradtional...the walls are split so different colours on bottom and top. any ideas? (keeping the tartan seats just need colour ideas and lighting ideas) TIA

Comments (21)

• Sonia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I love a bit of tartan but that is tartan overload. I can’t quite see the colours in the tartan fabric. Is there green, blue? I would paint the walls a soft sage green to tone it all down and maybe a classic white ceiling. I would also get some of the chairs recovered in a plain fabric to also tone it down a little. You could paint some of the walls navy for a more modern look. Introducing some leather, which I can just see in one of the pics, will also go well. Some of the chairs are more Wetherspoon than Scottish Country Hotel, hope you’re not offended!

If green is not for you, then a warm white such as Pointing by F&B all over, including the dado rail, so everything is one colour. Is it an old hotel and does it have any period features at all? I’ve found these images which I hope will show how to decorate a country hotel with a more modern, but still very cosy and welcoming, twist.

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! I was thinking navy and my dad was thinking sage green, we don’t have those Wetherspoons chairs anymore 😂 I can see what you mean about the tartan being overload but don’t think my dad would let us cover some in plain fabric.. love the pictures you sent too who’ll send this to my dad!

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also yes it’s a very old hotel so had lovely rustic supporting beams on the roof which we love and are going to keep, unfortunately we are just new owners last year and previous owners over the years have gotten rid of a lot of old features 😔

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I love tartan but painting out the red and pink will certainly make a difference. Good luck with it all.

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Yes definitely red is very overkill in the dining area, thank you so much!

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Yes those curtains have been up for years and we all hate them 🙈😂 think we would get plain curtains for decoration yes thinking of putting some stag antlers/heads up?

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What do you think of navy/sage green as interior colour at bottom of wall with white on the top?

• Sonia
    3 years ago

You’ve got to have stags antlers - it’s one of the rules of a Scottish hotel lol! Yes white and navy or sage would work but go for a soft warmer white, not brilliant white.

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Of course! 😂

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any ideas for nice lights? The ones I’ve looked at on google for inspiration seem to be dated as well 🤔

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Hmmm I’m no expert, but I think country hotel style ones maybe? Apart from overhead lights, table lamps on side tables or windows would give a cosy feel. something like this, but you may want something a bit more modern? Too traditional!

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oooh lovely! Where do you find all these!? I must be looking in the wrong places for inspiration 🙈😂

• E D
    3 years ago

Interesting and surely exciting project.

No expert advice from me I’m afraid, but my personal overal view would be to yes, create a traditional style, but with a contemporary twist.

I really like the style in the bedroom photo that Sonia sent.

I feel you can probably keep all the tartan chairs as long as you tone down the carpet, wall colours and curtains (I agree, no pelmets).

Have you considered painting the beams? This could eliviate some of the ‘heavy‘ feel but still maintain the character.

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! It is very exciting the place hasn’t been cared about for years the past few owners running it into the ground it’s such a treasure to the locals we are turning it around, think we would like to keep the beans original atm unless we just give them a coat of the same colour.. thank you!

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Wow. Nice place.

Wouldn't it be great if you took up the carpet and found the original wood floor underneath!

• PRO
    Studio Vonne
    3 years ago

This looks like an amazing project. There's a few styles that could look amazing. Smart and traditional or like has said before give it a modern twist. The first image has more modern lighting and the second more traditional. Dark colours on the bottom and cream on top. Wasn't sure if it was blue or green in your tartan. I'd definitely look to see if a wooden floor is possible.

• PRO
    Studio Vonne
    3 years ago

Also don't be afraid to embrace the darkness. It can still look beautiful with the correct lighting

Good luck with it. Looks like so much fun

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ooh yeah I live those! I really want to do navy but no one else is taking me on 😂 trying to get 4 people to agree on colour schemes is a nightmare!

• kazzh
    3 years ago

It would so hard to visualise. Maybe try getting some large, really large, card and painting out sample colours. Take them to site, and set up various combinations with the chair in the mix and photograph. Try the combinations in the lighter and darker areas. It might help sway those who are having difficulty with the colour ideas.

• lilmissykat1 .
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good idea thanks

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.