rhian_foley

FMB Vs JCT contract

Rhian Foley
3 years ago

We have found a builder for our loft conversion and he uses a FMB contract. However, our home insurance is asking whether we will be signing a JCT contract. Could someone explain the difference between the two? Thanks so much

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Kay Moden
    3 years ago

Hi there,

FMB is not as comprehensive as the JCT, but as far as I know, JCT is way more common and more known. I don't see a reason why the builder wouldn't want to use a JCT if you ask them to.

• PRO
    FRESH Architects
    3 years ago

Kay is right, FMB is a lot simpler and uses less technical legal jargon. JCT is the most commonly used but FMB is often used by builders for lower value, simpler projects. That said, JCT also have a range which caters for projects of lower value like the JCT Minor Works for example. You could ask your builder to use a different contract and you could also query with you insurer if they will support the use of the FMB.

• Rhian Foley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks both, I'll ask my insurer first 👍

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.