Houzz Logo Print

Outside ducting for kitchen island downdraft extractor

Phil Scott
3 years ago

I am hoping to have a downdraft extractor or venting hob in my kitchen island, but I can’t figure out how they can be ducted outside.

A kitchen island is obviously in the middle of the room which means ducting must run under the floor to get to an external wall. If it runs under the floor then it can only exit the wall at ground level which leaves it susceptible to rain water and other blockages or even attack by animals.

Any rise in the ducting would result in condensation and grease problems as that will collect at the bottom of the rise so I’m stuck on how this is supposed to work.

I’m sure lots of people have solved this problem and I’m probably missing something simple so if anyone has an externally ducted island extractor and can describe their setup that would be great.

Comments (20)

    Tailor my experience with cookies

    Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.