webuser_888123164

Ideas to refurbish this dated stairwell

Tim
3 years ago

I live in a victorian semi detached with an extended and modernised downstairs. I'm slowly working through renovating all the other dated bits! Would appreciate some opinions on these stairs. Old tongue and groove wall and pine stairs.

I'm thinking of plaster boarding the T&G wall then painting (the panelling is quite tired), and cladding the stairs with oak.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Hmm. I would be suspicious of that t&g. Whats it hiding?

Might be an idea to pull a section of it off and see whats underneath? It doesn't look original to the house. It could be that you have perfectly good plaster work under it which will save you the extra work and also adding additional plasterboard on top would make your stringer disappear.

• Tim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

It's actually just T&G on the other side! So nothing underneath I think. Here's a photo to better explain

• Tim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Wow, you could have a really nice original banister and spindles under there!

• Tim
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sadly I don't think that will be the case! It's just a single panel thickness of wood

• Tim
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

They look great! Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about that but that would mean removing the door to the living room so again, sizeable job! Thanks also for the kind words about the living space - we think it's been quite nicely done :)

• kazzh
    3 years ago

To keep a wall, of sorts, for the door yet to open it up you might think about trying a modern look with wood running the full height with glass in between to form a full wall. I don't think I'm explaining myself very well...

• kazzh
    3 years ago

As an idea of the vertical wood notion, it could be spaced a little more for glass in between.

• kazzh
    3 years ago

On a more modest scale, I think! But you get the idea.....

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.