kim_radley

Cat Proofing Cast Iron Fireplace

Kim Radley
3 years ago

Hello!

I’m hoping to get some advice on cat proofing a Victorian cast iron fireplace that we have in our bedroom.

The fireplace isnt in use and is mainly decorative. The fireplace in the room below that shares the chimney breast, is not in use as well and is blocked with a piece of wood.

The only problem we have is that the cats are very interested in the hood opening and would love to “explore” - resulting in us having a cat stuck in the chimney. I’ve found them a few times half way in and it’s causing a lot of worry!

Currently we have a piece of card lodged in the opening, which is unsightly but does the job, however I’m wondering if there is a mesh or something specifically for this that can be installed instead?

Cheersn

Comments (4)

• minipie
    3 years ago

There would most likely originally have been a damper - a cast iron plate that fits the hole and can be flapped back and forth to open or close the chimney. Many fireplaces have lost theirs, sounds like yours have too? If so, you could look for a replacement but it may be tricky to find one that fits. Alternatively you could look into chimney sheep or chimney balloons which are designed to block off chimneys - though you’d have to consider whether these would be cat proof!

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Paint the cardboard matt black. You'll never know it's there!

• mii2
    3 years ago

Put black bin liner upside down in chimney as far up as you can . Stuff it solid with crushed newspaper when in place so it pushes outwards and fills the void. Neatly tie bag shut so it’s not visible from the room and easy to remove if required.

• T Gray
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We got some fireguards for ours at first, but then we got the Chimney Sheep like Minipie says.. Not only do they eliminate draughts, they keep curious kitties out as they are fairly substantial bits of kit. They tended to tear at the plastic bags and shred them.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.