steveeg

Ikea Finsmakare oven / microwave - matching warming drawer?

steveeg
3 years ago

Hi there,

I've purchased an Ikea Finsmakare oven and matching microwave. We liked the clean black look, which will match our black cupboards and the fact they had minimal silver/steel trim on them.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=finsmakare

However, we'd like a matching all black warming drawer to sit under the microwave. Ikea don't make any warming drawers. We want a warming drawer which is all black i.e. no silver trim.

Any advice what might match?

The lady in Ikea who served us wasn't terribly helpful on this particular front :-)

We're UK based. I've looked and see a few options that will meet our requirements of all black, but don't know if any will match. Plus some are frankly pricey for warming drawers.

- Whirlpool W1114 - c£370-500. (Pricey).

- Belling UWD14 c£200

- Caple WD140CLBK c£300. My parents' have a caple induction hob and slimline dishwasher and am underwhelmed by the brand.

I've read that Whirlpool make Ikea appliances but can't find anything to confirm that plus it's a pricey gamble to make.

Belling seem to be part of a different appliances conflomerate to Whirlpool, and Caple can't find much on them.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (16)

• arc3d
    3 years ago

Hi Steve,

Just did a quick search. Bosch, Siemens, Miele, Smeg, Beko all do them in all black. Even found an unbranded one on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbranded-UWD14BLK-Black-Warming-Drawer/dp/B075DBTB6R

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi arc3d, thanks for the response.

Yup, I guess there are plenty of other options out there which are black. But my question is really how do I know which, if any, will match the black glass of an Ikea oven?

I've had this before with white where I bought two white items to fit next to each other and they were massively mis-matched.

I'm really hoping that someone has either had the same problem before, or someone knows which manufacturer makes the Ikea ovens then I would get a drawer from that same manufacturer.

Thanks,

Steve

• arc3d
    3 years ago

In that case Steve just buy your top 3 choices and try them out. Keep the one that matches and return the other two. Most shops are very happy to except returns especially if you packed it back up nicely.

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Victoria Brilliant, thanks for that link - have now been able to get to the bottom of who actually manufactures the oven and microwave! I'd read that, obviously, Ikea appliances are manufactured by the usual big conglomerates. I had downloaded all the manuals for the oven and microwave hoping that the manufacturer's name would be in the small print - but they weren't. Your link has enabled me to decipher a mystery number at the end of each manual - 21552 which is .... drum roll ... Electrolux. I can take it from here. Many thanks.

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@arc3d Thanks for the follow on. I guess this is a backup approach if needed. Yup, most sellers are flexible with returns, it's just with the current situation it would be somewhat logistically complicated for me to do.

• Victoria
    3 years ago

@steveeg, you’re welcome ☺️

• lazylizardhg
    3 years ago

@steveeg Im facing the exact same problem. May I ask what you went with in the end and if it was indeed a good match?

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Lazylizard,

I ended up going for one without any logo whatsoever from AEG on the principle that AEG is part of Electrolux who make the Ikea ovens. The model number is AEG KDE911424B. I recall it being quite hard to source, possibly as AEG have stopped making them or selling them in the UK.

I ended up getting one from a white good reseller on ebay at an okay-ish price. I contacted a few resellers and it sounds like they get stock in every so often. If you see one advertised on eBay but out of stock, worth contacting the reseller and seeeing if they can get it in.

The service from the reseller was actually very prompt. One annoying thing is that there is an internal glass tray in the warming drawer - when the package arrived the internal tray was smashed to pieces as it hadn't been fixed down for posting. The ebay seller was actually very responsive, offered either a return and refund or a replacement shelf - they sourced it from AEG and it arrived promptly.

In terms of match with the Ikea microwave, well I am pretty perfectionist on these things, and it's somehow not quite exactly the same black, however I really do not notice any difference at all on a day to day basis. No-one has ever commented they are different. The builder said the finish was identical. The warming drawer is slightly less a deep black than the Ikea microwave. I am very happy with the end result. I attached a few photos - sorry should have cleaned and tidied up first but too much to do :-)

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Another two points if you are going the Ikea route.

The Finsmakare ovens and microwave look great, great quality and good functionality. I struggled to find anything else on the market that was (virtually) plain black. Ikea have reduced them from £800 to £650, and microwave from £600 to £550 - annoying for us but good for anyone buying them now. That aligns with the price they retail at in Europe.

We have the KUNGSBACKA black doors. It was an unplanned decision in Ikea - there was an offer on and the doors are made from recycled materials. However the effect with the black ovens and microwaves is great. A developer came to the house to look at something else and he assumed the kitchen was German. On the negative side, the units show lots of smudges and are a bu88er to clean. Lots of reviews say this - we hadn't seen the reviews as, as I said, it was a spur of the moment choice.

• HU-842362551
    3 years ago

Help everyone who one of these ovens, our shows that the oven has reached temperature but when using a separate thermometer we see that if the oven says 170degC it is only 120degC it the takes 20-25 mins to achieve correct temperature, engineer says this is just a character of the oven. I currently fighting Electrolux about this. I’m sure this is not correct, any help please

• steveeg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi there,

Am afraid I can't offer any help as haven't tested the oven with a separate oven thermometer. From the way it cooks food I would say it heats fairly accurately.

Sorry to not be of more help!

Steve

• User
    2 years ago

Hi. I’m thinking of buying one of these ovens but I’m wondering how easy it is to use. Also, how clear are the controls. I have not found very many reviews of it yet so I was wondering.

• steveeg
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, we find it very straightforward to use. Look great and have a quality feel. Well worth buying at full price and last time I checked I think Ikea had them on offer at £650 - even better value.

• User
    2 years ago

Thank you for the comment. It is reassuring.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.